1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Standard Stainless V box or Snowex?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by merrimacmill, Nov 3, 2009.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I am having a 5500 set up for this winter and I need to pick a spreader for it. I have it down to the Buyers stainless steel 10' 4.5 yard. As most know this is just a standard spreader with a drag chain and a gas motor.

But I am considering my other option which is a SnowEx 9500. 4 yard capacity. I like the idea of having independent control of the auger and disc, having a none rusting poly box, and stainless internal parts. My concerns with this unit are the electric motor having issues stalling or jamming up, the strength of the poly box because I NEVER have seen someone around here using a SnowEx that large. I have seen them in pick-ups, but have never seen a big unit and I'm not sure if there is a reason for that or not. Also a concern I have is freeze up in the poly box. I have never owned one so I don't know first hand, but I read on this site that spreaders such as the buyers poly salt dogg freeze up very badly. I'm not sure why it would be any better or worse, but that is just what I have read.

My current spreader is a mild steel 1.7 yard Henderson spreader (going in a diff truck obv). It is less than a year old and stored inside and already showing spots of rust all over the place. Not as much on the box, but more on all the components. (drag chain, spinner shaft, bearings, chains, sprockets, bolts and nuts.

I guess the third option would be the poly Salt Dogg 4 yard electric. This would probably be the cheapest way to go, but I have not warmed up to the idea of those things yet.

What are others thoughts on these two spreaders? Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. U1200

U1200 Member

When I was going to put a hydraulic spreader on my Unimog i was between the Buyers and SnowEx. I'm a BIG fan of not having a POS chain on a spreader if I could keep from it. However two things made me lean toward the buyers anyway.

First was price, I think the Buyers was going to be $6000 or so. I don't recall the exact price of the SnowEx but i think $8500 was about right?

Second was that the snowEx had a mild steel framework around the hopper. Sorry but thats going to end up rusting sooner or later. I thought the point was not to have to deal with rust issues.

3. merrimacmill

from MA

Did you end up getting the buyers? And if so how do you like it? Any disadvantages/advantages that you have found with the unit over conventional units?

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Why not an Air-Flo electric under electric tailgate, less expensive option, no box to remove for other use and a greater capacity both in vloume and weight. Just somethin to think about, we're looking really hard at one this season, so I cannot attest to quality or function yet.

5. merrimacmill

from MA

The truck is a non-dumping flat bed so that would not be an option.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd take electric over gas any day. They are well proven at this point.

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a really good reason!!!!!!!!!!!11