1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Standard Scheduling Protocol?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tradesman81, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Tradesman81

Tradesman81 Junior Member

OK, I have been plowing for a company for what is now the second season. Last year when working for them I was givin some advanced notice as to when we were suppose to go out. For example, if we were expecting snow in the morning hours the owner would call the night before and would let me know to be expecting a call about 3 or 4 in in the morning. It just seemed like a common courtesy. Usually I was watching the weather and knew I would be going out anyways, but it was nice to be in communication and not sitting there wondering. Well anyways, this year the communication seems to be lacking and it seems like all the call outs now have just been "Ok I need you to go head out NOW". Last night I was on here and noticed everyone was getting sent out to start salting because of the icing over. Finally, I get the call to go out and start salting at 9pm. No real problems here. I start to get ready and head out. Well, just as I'm leaving I get a call back saying they are canceling for now and should be heading out at 4 or 5am. I'm not to happy because I would rather go get it done, but he's the boss. So I lay down to get some sleep. I just now at 1am get the call to go out right now. What happened to 4 or 5!? Is this standard protocol for companies to call out like that or am I just working for an unorganized, bonehead that can't make a decision to save his life
  2. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

If the boss is approachable, it might be time to see him and have a chat. Did he lose some bigger contracts this season which changes everything or did he get more subs which puts you on a different scale.????????????????????//
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you provide him with a 100% accurate weather forecast on an hourly basis, I bet he'll be able to do a better job telling you what time to leave....
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with 2cor517 sometimes its hard to make a decision we're all people so we make mistakes and sometimes those mistakes are based on others forcasts. I don't call the guys before hand to tell them were going out I call them when I need them.
  5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

In this Business you have to be ready to go at a moments notice......If your subbing for a company, your at their mercy..You go when they tell you to go...I just pay attention to the weather...I try to pay attention to the way the company i work for operates...So i can anticipate the Phone call......Just Be Ready......:salute:
  6. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

If you were new last year, he was probably just breaking you in and making sure you'd show up. You're not a rookie anymore, watch the weather and if it's going to snow, get ready for a call.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

this is a 24/7 business
    deal with it or quit
  8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

We call ahead, both subs and emplyees. But that is subject to chance at anytime, I have learned that it's better to call them out a few hours early than a few late... Really with all the technology of texting, smart phones, 2 way radios, and email, There isn't much reason hay quickly with 3 mins time you can't notify any number of people as to what your game plan is... Set up a group email, and set it to everyone
  9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Just my .02

But you might have gone from being the go to call out first guy, to the we will use him if we have to guy........just say'n

Your "my boss is a bone head" may have shown up at work and he is not as excited about your wake up call as he used to be.

Just my .02..........flame away.
  10. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

If the BOSS would know the weather we wouldn't be plowing snow and make more money in a warm office. I try to give my Guys notice as I can but it is hard to make the right call especially on freezing rain! Very time sensitive!

But let him know how you feel in a nice way, an hour notice at least.
  11. Tradesman81

Well I appreciate all of the responses. :drinkup: It is nice to get different opinions on the situation as I really haven't been doing it all that long. I do realize it's hard to make schedules based on the weather when all of the meteorologists can't get the weather right to save their lives.
  12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

There are many realities why this is so true.

It's best to be ready at a moments notice to roll, and best to be ready to switch and change gears quickly. Could be the guy is unorganized....or could be he dealing with things you may never know about that will mix things up for you.
  13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Isnt this whole thread related to common sense? I mean if you know its going to be adverse weather on certain days then ALWAYS expect to be called out at any time. PERIOD. Most times its not his fault if hes getting the go aheads from the actual contract signers. I always just stay tuned to weather forums and radar and you can always get an idea when weather is coming in. Plan accordingly and get rest the day before. Usually NOAA says when weather will be here give or take a few hours.

If it upsets you that bad Id look to get your own contracts and go on your own timeframes. Other than that its just the nature of the beast. Gotta roll with it if ya want the green.
  14. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

Two things.

1. If you have grievances with your boss about when you're being called to a job, then you should take it up with him, not us.

2. If you're a sub, like I am, then you're on call from when the snow starts falling until some time after it stops. Plan on getting sleep beforehand, and be ready to go when the boss calls. If you don't like the hours, or the inconsistency, then maybe the job isn't for you.
  15. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

One of my Guys went Ice Fishing when a unforeseen storm showed up......he said I didn't think you will call me today......I said nor did I but it is snowing now and I need you! No pay for the week since it was the 3rd time he missed.
  16. Tradesman81

Wow, it never fails. Anytime someone has a question on how something normally goes or if they might be a little disgruntled on a certain topic there has to be at least one person who has to chime in and point out the fact that maybe you should just get out of the business. Do you really think for 1 second that if it bothered me that much I wouldn't get out of it? For the most part, I get some good advice or viewpoints on here. Than there are those times that people just don't have anything useful to say. I will say this: I consider myself still a bit new to the business. For now I enjoy it, and when it snows I make some good money at as well as the fact that it fills the slow part of the construction season pretty well. As with any profession, there are good days and then there are the bad. You just have to go with the flow.
  17. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

None of my comment was meant harshly. I apologize if you took it in that light.
  18. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

I kind of agree with your comments too. Deal with it if the working hours and short notice isn't for you apply at a bank! It is demanding and stressful work especially as the BOSS!
    Getting crap from clients and employees being grumpy and not showing up while your plowing and or salting takes its toll on being friendly all the time :)
  19. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

For most of the year I run a landscaping company, but for the winter I opt on being a sub-contractor. I do this because 1) I get to see how another business owner runs his operations, and 2) it give me a break from having to be the boss year-round. But having run my own business, and I understand that as a boss you have to have a crew that is ready to change gears at a moment's notice, depending on the conditions of the day. In years past most of the crew understands and deals with it, and the ones that don't get fired.

ahh well. can't please everyone.
  20. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Thats how it works!