1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Standard Plows on 1/2 ton 4x4

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buckeye Chuck, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

I just bought a Silverado 4x4, reg. cab, short bed, plow prep, tow package.
    Want to try and start a small snowplowing business.
    I'm having trouble deciding on the plow.

Meyers dealer recommended steel standard duty 7.5 (weighs 656#) or poly standard duty 7.5 (weighs 708#). Owner was very professional.

Western dealer recommended poly standard duty 7.5 (weighs 644#). Owner was a jerk.

Meyers dealer is 10 miles from me and Western dealer is 50 miles from me. I like the Western Plow but I'm a little worried about getting service from this guy.

Are these weights okay, older posts say not?
    Which plow would you go with?

2. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I put a 7'6'' Western pro plow on my 1500 Dodge and have had no problems with it I love it in fact, so I would say that any one of those plows would be fine for you, but you may need to put a set of Timbrens on to help with front end sag.
  3. Buckeye Chuck

I wish the owner of the Western Dealership hadn't acted like he was doing me a favor.

4. btrussell

btrussell Member

I've heard good things about both plows. I had a similar experience except the meyers dealer was a pain and the western dealer was great. I have a 7.6 wester proplow with ultra mount and I love it although you normally love your first of anything so... go with your instinct and as i said before any plow will do what its made to do... push snow.
  5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BUCK..........How much are those plow rigs each installed ?

One of the guys around here posted a new Blizzard 7 1/2 straight blade
    installed for like $2800 for his new truck.

Other brands were $500 or so more..................geo
  6. Buckeye Chuck

Meyers Steel is about $3100 installed and the Western Poly has a is $3450 , both standard models (light commercial).
  7. computerguy

computerguy Member

Love my Snoway

I have a Snoway and so far it has performed well. Keeps up with the "big boys" on all counts. It's lighter so there is less wear and tear on the front end. This is something you need to seriously think about on a 1/2 ton. Easy on and off and LOVE the wireless remote. I put Timbrens front and back.
  8. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

How long do the batteries last in the remote?
  9. computerguy

computerguy Member

Snoway batteries

My batteries last the season. They worked this season to start but after a little bit they died. Works great putting the plow on and taking it off. And in the cab you can put it any where. Use your left hand or right. Only problem is trying to hold the coffee and remote at the same time and plow. :nono:
  10. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

This is a tough one. I hate it when a product I like and may want to buy is being sold by a jerk. I'm not going to get into Meyer vs. Western because I don't own either and there are plenty of guys on plowsite who run both and are happy with them. So, I will say that if the professional is 10 miles away and the jerk is 50 miles away then I'd stay local. If you have a problem in the middle of the season, do you really want to drive for an hour with your plow raised to go see someone you can't stand? These days when it seems to have all but disappeared, good service is very important.
    Also, a 1/2 ton truck is a very capable plow vehicle and if yours has plow prep so much the better. You may need to add timbrens (load boosters) up front to compensate for front end sag from the weight of the plow, and of course some rear ballast weight. But, if you operate your equipment well and don't cowboy it, you should be just fine with a new Meyer or Western on your 1/2 ton. Good luck.
  11. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You could strap the coffee to your chest and use a straw to get to it :nod:
  12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Buckeye Chuck,
    1/2 ton Chevy here as well. I put the Blizzard 760LT on at $2565 installed plus tax. 550lbs. But I don't see where either the Meyer or Western wouldn't work, they don't weigh that much more. Either way you'll be getting a good plow, but dealer support is key. If you think the one dealer will continue to be a jerk I'd go to another Western dealer or go with another brand of plow. Good luck in the decision.

Anyone out there know a good "Snow Dance"? We need some!!