1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Standard" Plow Mounts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pelican, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

In light of the topic of "demoing" a snowplow that's popped up recently, and having made a number of attachment changes on my skid steer today, an idea hit me (or maybe it was just that big tree branch):

How cool would it be if the major snowplow manufacturers got together and developed an "Industry Standard" plow mounting system similar to that of the skid steer manufacturers where any manufacturers plow could be mounted to another's frame?

Think of the possibilities: Plow dealers could have rental plows available if a customer's were to quit, no matter the brand. You could demo a competing brand for a storm or to to compare to for your next purchase. Large scale contractors could have a "spare" plow on hand in case a sub's plow quits.

Far fetched? Yeah! Impossible? No way! I'll probably be dead and gone before it happens if ever, but it would make life much easier!
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

that would be a great idea i agree it should be like the skid steers are with a common attachment system.:drinkup:
  3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Would also make designing hitches for front truck mounted leave vacs a heck of a lot easier too. At least with the old conventional mounts everything was fairly similar.

4. DanG

DanG Senior Member

That would be nice if it ever happened.:D

For alot of the reasons that Pelican mentioned it would be great.

If tractor manufacturers could do it(3 point hitches come to mind) Look how many implements you can get for them from all different manufacturers.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The idea is great,but I think the plow mfg's want to keep you tied to their mount.Then when you upgrade,or buy other plows,you tend to stick with one mfg to keep everything the same.

There is also the liabilty issue.If you had a common mount,then the guy with the little S10 has the same mount as an F550.You'd see people with a little truck trying to mount stuff designed for the bigger trucks,and overloading them.Not what I'd want to see driving around in front of me.
  6. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

You could have a class system like they use for 3-points on tractors. Does the wrong one fit? yep, if you're stupid, anything will FIT. You have a similar situation within each maufacturer already. Can an S-10 carry a 10ft western heavyweight? Nope, but if both are uni-mount, it'll FIT. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the blizzard 8611 and 680 have the same mount, too. Even if I'm wrong (and it's happened once before) you get the idea. I think it wouldn't work for the manufaturers because if they all have the same mount, they lose their precieved competetive advantage... EVERYBODY has the fastest, easiest, lightest, or heaviest mounting system.

I like the idea, though- it would remove much of the risk associated with choosing a plow brand.

What about the wire harness?
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

EZSnow, those were my thoughts too. Another comparison would be trailer hitch classes. You can physically tow a trailer that's too big for the hitch.

The plows could be split up into classes to fit the weight capacity of the vehicle. The spread on the hitch points could vary from class to class preventing misuse.

I considered the harnesses, this would be a bit trickier, especially with the likes of V plows and the Blizzard. The trailer manufacturers managed to standardize the electric plugs they use, I'm sure with enough effort they could come up with something.

I think because of the reasons you and wyldman give in reference to marketing we'll never see it. It sure would bring a lot of relief to the life of a plowing contractor.
  8. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

How 'bout we step out and do it...

NOW AVAILABLE! PlowSite universal plow mounts! If all the industry leaders (plowsite members) are doing it, then the manufacturers HAVE to!!

I think western would probably be closest with the ultramount. The recievers come off and you can put an uni-mount in place of it. You would just have to build mount like that with the correct points for each manufacturer. I don't think it would be that difficult to adapt a blizzard mount beam to it, but western and blizzard are all I'm familiar with. This way, if everyone has a universal reciever on their truck, each rental or backup plow has an accompanying (sp) adapter that allows it to mount to the truck.

Wiring... let's take a cue from the trailer industry... A big fat power cord from a multi-mount winch, tow truck jumpers and the like, and a 7-way. I'm ready- LET'S GO!!
  9. Greenscape4u.co

Greenscape4u.co Senior Member

I know I'm new but has anyone here heard of "Frink" , now "Trailblazer" plows ? best plow ever built ! one of the reasons most of my trucks use them is specifically for what you're talking about. Within minutes if we have to because of a down truck , we swap to the skid steere which has the mounts welded in the same spot. Versatility is always key.

It's funny , I swear some of these manufacturers have never plowed snow ! :rolleyes:
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Nothing against Western Plows, I have heard they are great but I think the mounts are low and ugly. I wuld much rather see a Fisher type setup. Very low key.
  11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Greenscape, your post has jogged my memory. I sub to a local highway department, all of the class 8 trucks have the same mounting setup, and all of the plows will fit any of the trucks regardless of the brand.

We've got some manufacturers watching the site, this is what we want guys, sell it to us!

Of course there would be bugs to work out, but it could be done.
  12. Greenscape4u.co

Greenscape4u.co Senior Member

Hi Pelican, we use the downsize version of your highway department for our pick - ups , there still built here in Ontario under the name Trailblazer , think a private outfit bought out the rights to Frink and made some modifications. The only problem is that the harness stays on the trucks all summer except the new one its a unimount. I'll never forget the time we were plowing in a good southern Ontario dump, braking an a-frame and just leaving the blade on site, drove to the yard and picked up our spare off the skid steere and went back to work.

Next time I'm at the yard I'll get a couple pics and post them.

We're buying a new plow this fall and since Trailblazer doesn't make a V-blade I'm gunna take a look at the Boss poly -V any input and will my 1999 GMC dually 1-ton carry the weight with a 9' ?