1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Standard hourly rate

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chinups, Jan 28, 2005.

1. chinups

chinups Junior Member
    from jersey

I am plowing for someone and wondered what someone might get paid hourly if they have there own truck.

And for a owner of a business how much do you charge to plow say a burger king? Driverthru and lot no shoveling. Thanks
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Here in Michigan the going rate for subs are $50.00-$65.00 hr depending on equipment and experience. The rate is different from area to area. I sub for a guy every once and awhile and get $65.00 hr but I'm running a 2001 chevy 3/4 HD with a 8 foot Curtis.

Regards Mike
  3. mbella

mbella Junior Member

How much you get also depends on where you fall in line. If you are a sub of a sub then you will get less than the sub.
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I subed for a landscaping company this past week when I finished with my driveways. I was running my F-150 with 7'6" Curtis and my bro was using the Jeep Cherokee with a 7' Curtis. We were doing individual spaces and tight areas at condo complexes. This was alot of snow so we got paid more, $75 per hour each. If it was a "normal" storm I probley would have been getting around $50/hr. Just me and that company though, it varies so much between location, company, amount of snow, and type of work. Its hard to give a standard rate, generally I would say that it should be atleast $50.
  5. chinups

chinups Junior Member
    from jersey

Nice! I am in Jersey and making 75 an hour. It was my first time out so it was a pleasant surprise. Any suggestions on a belt driven salter?
  6. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

Any good size outfit around here(SE Michigan)That is well known charges $120-125 hr. For plowing. I've heard of subs getting $80hr with a V plow.
  7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Ave rate in Cleveland sub with thier own truck with 7.5 plow will make 35 - 40 dollars an hour. Which is why I dont do any sub work...Rob
  8. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Around here its $45-60 an hour for a 3/4 to 1 ton truck with 8'plow
  9. kthhayes

kthhayes Junior Member

This is my second year, and last year I was out only twice, so I consider my self a novice. The company that sub's me is paying me a novice rate of $60 per hour, and I know guys there that make $85 per hour, no salting! It just depends on what the market priceing is in your area.
  10. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I plow for a guy on Long Island with my truck 8' straight blade. get $80.00 an hour + fuel.
  11. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

a lot of guys getting $65 here in MD
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I get $50 an Hour in Akron Ohio below Cleveland. If the snow is deeper it takes longer so I make more. I have a route of 5 drug stores and a Credit Union I do each storm. Each takes at least 50 minutes or longer to do each place well. Then if it's still snowing I go on to the bigger stuff. I have NO CONTRACTS or PRESSURE, it's worth it to sub-contract.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know who your are plowing for. I got offers on my new plow rig (see below) for next year at $95+ and $75+ for my kubota tractor with a 5' plow and 4' blower. All with 8 hour miniums.
  14. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

Your guy need any extra help? $65 is what I usually get offers for around here in Elderburg. I do work for EM in Columbia, plenty of hours but $95 sounds much better than $65, though I only have a straight 7.5 poly meyer. I probably could get that money too with your setup. What was your old setup and how much did you get for subwork?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  15. shadowmaker1969

shadowmaker1969 Junior Member
    from va

I avg $50-$60 hr. I have a couple that I get about $85 per hr. But I charge them a flat rate regardless of how deep. I also charge by the lot, I never charge a "per hr". But the $50-$60 is how I base it.

16. hillmin

hillmin Junior Member

In our town of about 2000 residents we contractors plow mostly driveways. An average driveway of 50' is charged $450.00 for the season. We base our 'season' on 12-14 clearings. A mild season (as we have been having so far) will see an hourly rate of roughly $160.00 per hour. It must be noted however these drives are a pain. My contracts read, any additional clearing over 14, they are charged the seasonal rate divided by 14. I write this in since we have had some extremely long/rough seasons were we've plowed over 20 times.