1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Standard duty or Super Duty Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by elshauno, Nov 12, 2007.

1. elshauno

elshauno Member

I'm about to get a Boss plow but I'm not sure if I should get a standard duty 7'6 plow with 3 springs or a superduty 7'6 with 4 springs and some motor assist on the hitch. Is the super duty really worth it?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What are you installing it on?
    How much plowing are you gonna be doing with it?
    Any commercial?

Generally speaking, the super duty will be a better buy in the long term if you plan to keep it for a long time but the standards are well built also. Just depends on what your going to be doing with it.

The Super's are nice since they have the SmartHitch2 hookup and the trip return shock absorber that the standards don't have..although you can add both options to the standard..but if you plan on adding the options anyway, your better off buying the Super Duty since it will give you a stronger built blade made for commercial use.
  3. elshauno

elshauno Member

I'm putting it on a 1500 dodge so 7'6 is a big as I want to go. I will probably go with the super since it is heavier commercial and probably worth the extra money thanks for the input.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What was the price difference the dealer quoted you between the standard and the super 7.5? The super is about 100 lbs heavier than a standard so what your installing it on might make a differece on which one you would choose...what year Dodge?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  5. elshauno

elshauno Member

Its an 01 dodge and it was 250 more for the super duty 3449 vs 3699 they said the super was 619 pounds
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For only $250 difference, I'd go with the super duty for sure...
  7. elshauno

elshauno Member

Thanks for the replies Since I am a total noob to the plowing industry I am trying to get all the help I can can get.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then you came to the right place...
    Tons of good knowledge here...:waving:
  9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Mine is a standard duty and I threw the optional shock absorber on it and have absolutely no problems. For $250, what the hey....get the Super Duty. Cant go wrong with a Boss anyway!:D
  10. beef the std

I added the 4th spring and the shock to my 99 stnd and with
    some tlc and annual painting of rust,..she still performs

didnt realize that there is 100# difference
    suppose half of that is the spring and the shock.

Mine is a poly
    Did 24 resident drives (some 800 feet) over 15 times ea
    and that many more 'on-call' drives.

waiting to see what is going to wear out
    so far so good
  11. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

you'll be happy either way. the 1500 can take either one. if would recommend the shock absorber if you buy std. blade, so put that into consideration. :help:

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

whats the 7'6 super duty weigh?
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Close to 700 lbs..

so this guys way off???

never mind i found it says its 680 pounds.
  16. Stove

Stove Member

Im going trough the same situation same truck and everything, how much is your dearler charging you? My dealer quoted me 4,200 for the super.. I plan on giving him 4,000 cash!:gunsfiring:

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Go for the install yourself. If you have some basic wiring skills and can wrench on a car you can mount a snow plow to your truck. I saved around 400 bucks on the install. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it just have them do it.
  18. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

go for it

man for the difference in the price and if you see the smart hitch 2 work hands down ,more bang for the buck !
  19. elshauno

elshauno Member

I'm going to install it myself I know it will take a little bit I'm good at doing stuff like that. I did tinker with the showroom model for a bit and it seems so sweet. I'm thinking about buying it tomorrow and getting it hooked up over the weekend.
  20. elshauno

elshauno Member

I paid for it this afternoon but I don't get it until next week have to wait on the mount to come in.