1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stand Alone Block Heaters?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DS Landscape, Jan 11, 2010.

1. DS Landscape

DS Landscape Junior Member
    from Toronto

- We own a 2002 Sierra 2500hd diesel with 350,000+kms on it as one of our work trucks.

- I am taking some courses away from home and the property manager where I am renting is refusing to let me have an extension cord running across the sidewalk for liability reasons.

- Does anyone have any recommendations for a cost effective solution to this problem?

Thanks

Steve

2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I have never seen that thanks for sharing.. Very cool concept No prices on the site.. wonder how much??

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. speedy

speedy Senior Member

6 hundred or so. (they run 700 in Canada.)

Check Ebay

5. DavCut

DavCut Member

You could try one of those jump start battery packs that has a built in inverter. If you had a timer in the line you could set it to come on a few hours before you were looking to start the truck. Depending upon the setup you might even be able to charge it while you are plowing to be ready for the next cold start....

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I think a block heater would run a battery with an inverter dry in no time, they draw a bit of juice

7. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Do like they did in the olden days with the Model T's, drain the oil, remove the battery and take them inside every night, pre-warm the oil on the stove in the AM, re-install the battery and replace the oil, you're good to go!! LOL.

8. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i would do it any ways or see if you can park by a garadge so yuo can plug it in when it gets below 30

9. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

A small generator.

10. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Synthetic oil, GOOD high capacity batteries, all 8 functioning glow plugs, clean injectors, injector timing spot on. Definitely stay away from starting fluids.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You guys make owning a diesel sound like so much fun....

Actually the generator is probably the best bet. But borrow one, a nice loud one. He will let you use a cord in about three days:D

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Park on the sidewalk.

Then the cord won't be a liability.

13. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

These are the best 2 ideas i have seen.... Thanks for the laugh guy's that is great.

I run Amsoil cold flow improver and never have a problem. But i run synthetic oil as well.

14. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Isnt there remote starters that start your truck and run it every 2 hours for 15 mins?

15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Are you more worried about it not starting in the cold or do you just not want to have it idle so long to let it warm up?

16. plowman_25

plowman_25 Member

hahaha....thats great:drinkup:

17. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Diesel's are great... My stupid truck will start without ether injection in temps as low as 2 degrees...

18. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

How cold does it get? I'm sure that running a generator set all night long is going to annoy someone in the neighborhood. They tend to be rather loud and annoying. Have you thought about getting a manifold heater for the engine that runs on diesel fuel? They work really well. I have ether injection on my truck and it is great. I don't use it often just when it gets to about 1 or less. I can start my 7.8l diesel without much trouble in seriously low temperatures for a diesel engine: less than 32 to about 2 degrees. But I think a manifold heater would be your best bet. It would warm the air coming into the engine and make it easier to start.

19. DS Landscape

DS Landscape Junior Member
    from Toronto

- Thanks everyone for the feedback
    - I have already had to replace one battery when it got to be about -25 C in December and I want to avoid any issues in the future
    - The guys is really a piece of work, he literally said to me 'I don't understand why anyone would buy a vehicle that won't start in Canadian winters...'
    - The stand alone prices seem to be really high so I am trying to convince him to let me put an extension cord cover like you see when city crews have to run power over the sidewalk. This is the most cost effective solution but the guy is a real bonehead.

Thanks again everyone,
    Steve

20. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

good luck.