1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stalled OUT????

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Well I was driving my truck to home depot today and I was going down the road and my 1985 F-250 4x4 with the 351 windsor and a new 4 barrel holley. Stalled out :cry:. But it did fire right back up again. After I pumped the gas once. I think that it is the fuel filter. Because I just put a newer gas tank in the truck and it might have had some crap in the tank. I was going to change the fuel filter when I put the the new tank in but I could not find it when it was time to change it :gunsfiring: . Also dose anyone have any good tips on how to get old rusty spark pulgs out of the engine with out breaking them off in the block. Is there a special tool that can take them out :confused: easier. Any help or suggests are great :bluebounc THNAKS.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You may have ignition module problems or it just decided it was a good time to sputter to a stop. Make sure you don't have multiple fuel filters too. Some people will add an extra one. ( Like My Dad ) Intermittent problems will drive you nuts!
    Until it dies for good, it can be impossible to find the fault or reproduce it.
    Spray your spark plug threads with a little D, PB Blaster etc everyday for about a week. Use a socket designed for spark plugs. Make sure you don't put any sideways torque on the socket as you attempt to remove the plugs.
    If the plugs are that old consider replacing the distributer cap and rotor if they look real old.

3. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Mick- The truck did kind of just stalled out and coughed and then notting. I think its the fuel because I had to pump the pedal to get it to started. I think that I am going to do a complete tune up on the whole truck. And this truck only has the one singel fuel filter before the carb. But I think that the pulgs should'nt be that bad to take out, because I took the plugs out of my fathers 1960, 98 oldsmobile and they were only changed once in 1979 and I took them out 2 years a go with no problem. :cool: THANKS FOR THE HELP.