1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stall problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EricD701, May 19, 2012.

1. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Hi,
    I have a 1997 Chevy K2500 truck wouldn't start so I check spark and fuel all seem fine then thought maybe fuel pressure.

So I pour some gas down the intake and it starts and continues to run.
    I can turn it off and restart it but if it sits for a few days I have to do the same thing again.

Now once running if I step on the break or turn on the lights it will stall. All other electric components do not cause a problem eg light bar AC or heat blower. Only seems to be the lights/break. I clean all my ground connections and still the same.

Next I try using a set of jumper cables connect to the neg of the bat and go to the ground stud on the fire wall. No go.. Now I try grounding to the block still same problem.

Anyone know what else I can look at?

Edit: Also if I run the RPM's up to around 2000 and step on the break or turn on the lights / parking lighs it will still try to stall unless I turn off the lights or release the breaks.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. What engine. And did u ck the gnd at the pass side inner fender to frame?

3. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

5.7L and yes I removed and cleaned that ground as well.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just for giggles. Try this. Pull the rear bulbs and then step on brakes again. see what happens

5. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

so here is an update... If I pull the fuse for the break lights then plug it back in while the truck is running then step on the break it does not stall.
    Same with the parking lights, but after driving around for about an hour it stalls again and if I pull the fuse it will fix it again for a short time.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You were close with your jumper cable tests- however you missed it ever so slightly because you only tried it on the body and engine, but not the chassis- and guess where the fuel pump is grounded? Guess where the rear lighting is grounded too also? If you said to the chassis give yourself a thumbs up. Thumbs Up

So either the pump is drawing an excessive about of current (faulty) or it's ground path back to the battery is weak.

7. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Thanks I will check that out this weekend and report back.

8. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Thank you B&B you nailed it that was my problem thank you very much for your help.