1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Staking..... you or them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Dec 1, 2006.

Staking your resis..

1. You buy and place stakes

25 vote(s)
  2. You buy the stakes and leave for homeowner to place

1 vote(s)
  3. You tell homeowner to buy/place their own

3 vote(s)
  4. Stakes? Who needs em!

10 vote(s)
  1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Just wondering....... man, staking is a lot of work!
  2. 94halftonchevy

94halftonchevy Junior Member
    from se pa

The accounts I do on an as needed basis I try to stake if I have time but usually people start calling after there's more snow on the ground then they can handle themselves. I stake my contracted customers at the beginning of the season. I personally find it quicker, easier and more exact. I try not to abuse my equipment so i never plow at rediculous speeds but i feel i can get my jobs done a little faster because i know were my edge is located. Another good thing that comes with staking is that you don't get as many call backs for not clearing all of the driveway or parking lot. Everyone likes edge to edge plowing around here. I bet everyone that's been plowing for a little while has some story of tearing up someones lawn. I know personally i've done this. This one house had a long drive that split and wrapped itself to the front of the house and the back. Well under a good 8 inches of snow you can only guess where the drive splits and the landscaping starts. I found myself a good 3 truck lengths out in the lawn. Now I try to find the edges before I drop the blade.
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I don't use them unless really need, in which case I buy and install them myself. I think the most I ever used on one driveway was three. If an obstruction wouldn't hurt the plow it didn't get a stake. I normally used them on those power boxes and stuff that get really burried. I customer last year put them up on his driveway. He out one like every foot. It was a comeplete pain to deal with. He left me about 6 feet to pile all the snow. I had to take some of the stakes out.
  4. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

i thought this is commercial forum....residential should be under residential

commercial accounts yes, i buy and place and remove, sometimes charge the customer for time, most of the time not....

driveways i neverhave staked, unless the homeowner asks and will pay
  5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Can you give us all a link to the Residential Forum here Mr B?
  6. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

i figure its the non commercial forum right?

the description says its to ...ask plowing tips from the pro's to help keep your driveways clean and clear of snow & ice.
  7. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Traditionally, the snowplower will stake out his accounts on his own. I personally don't use them. I know all my accounts well enough. Maybe if I had employees.
  9. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Commercial plowing is traded for $.

My accounts that are not 24-hour all get staked. Wooden, the stakes get painted certain colors to warn of certain materials (sod, high curb, drain, etc).

PITA customers get charged for staking and pre-season inspection- most don't. It is very time consuming, so I leave stakes in place at season's end and hope they're still there in the fall. I have yet to make the staking rounds, because IT'S WARM AS HELL HERE.
  10. LLM Ann Arbor

That forum is for homeowners here seeking advice from us "pros"

I guess I could see how you can make the assumption you did and many do. Ive heard what you said before, but thats the deal B.

I also guess a purely residential forum wouldn't be a bad idea.
  11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Yeah, this forum is for people who plow as a way to earn a living and do it for money. That forum is for people who plow for themselves and their mother-in-law.
  12. ECS

ECS Senior Member

According to my insurance company and state laws, you are a professional and need commercial insurance to operate, some states even require commercial plates on your trucks, whether you are doing commercial properties or residentials. Hmmmmmm, Go Figure.

I will also refrain from answering about staking my drives.
  13. LLM Ann Arbor

Thank you.

14. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

From my experience I've found staking does save time... especially if your employee has never seen the drive and has to make a few passes to find the grass along the side of a long, wide driveway. I myself have had to make a few passes at some houses that have called me in the middle of the storm just to find out where the heck the drive was!

On a side note for the fellow above... Commercial; moreover, commerce: is any exchange of goods or services. It does not matter if you're doing "commercial" or "residential" work. It's still business, which is commercial.
  15. LLM Ann Arbor

And not to beata dead horse but heres what it says right under the Non commercial forum header.

This forum is for the members who don't own or operate a snow plowing business. Post here if you want to discuss non-commercial equipment or ask plowing tips from the pro's to help keep your driveways clean and clear of snow & ice.
  16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

If you let the customer stake you'll end up with 40 metal stakes right where you need to push the pile:D

If I feel the need I will stake some trouble spots. I also don't charge the customer for the stakes or the time to do it -but that has already been debated:gunsfiring: :D

Ah, and who cares what forum this was posted in, its pretty self explanatory:rolleyes:
  17. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Stake em all, yes it is a pain but saves on major lawn damage. We put in 600-700 stakes every year, takes about 4 days, including one day to paint the new ones.
  18. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Yes it is time consuming! If you cant dedicate a few straight days to it, it ends up taking weeks! :yow!: :yow!: