1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Staking frozen ground

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenery, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Well i've picked up a couple more residentials this week and i'm going to swing by tomorrow and see if any of them need to be staked. I'm not sure how frozen the ground will be but i'm guessing i could have a problem gettinng stakes in if I need to. I think i'm going to bring my drill with and drill a slightly smaller diameter hole to try to get them in . Any other suggestions?
  2. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

My buddy rigged up a t handled shaft w/a foot wing welded close to the bottom and he uses that frozen or not. It is just a hair smaller diameter than the stakes. Works good frozen or not.
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Don't over think it.

We just use a piece of re-bar and a hammer. Sharpen the re-bar to a point and pound it into the ground where you want the hole to be. Honestly this time of the year all you need to do is get 2-3" down and the ground is still soft then you can just tap in the stake. It doesn't matter if the hole is alittle big because it will fill with snow or ice and not go anywhere until spring.
  4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yep- same here- works just fine...:nod:
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I think this would be another scenario where the propane torch idea would be in order. Thaw the ground and hammer away.
  6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

That would be hard to explain to the fire dept... :dizzy:
  7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Funny you should say that- we had a call last winter for "plow on fire"- we got on scene to find that the guy had ice frozen to the connector where the hose goes into the cylinder, and tried to melt it off (to change the blown hose) with a torch :dizzy:

Ended up setting his whole hydraulic unit on fire, and melted the front of his truck- moral of the story- DO NOT use a torch ANYWHERE near any kind of oil product...you'd think that would be obvious!:eek:
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I was making reference to another thread where a guy said he was going to use a torch to melt ice spots instead of a smidge of ice melt. Guess you didn't read that one :)

DOH! :dizzy:
  9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

a half inch pipe with a screw on cap on the end, about 6" shorter than the stake works fine,

slide it over the stake, and it works like a slide hammer and the pipe supports the stake..........
  10. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

12"L 3/8" auger bit in a good drill.......... zip and stick. It will drill out a hole for you in a heartbeat unless you hit rock :)
  11. Premier

Premier Senior Member

just use a drill, fast easy and efficent. what more could you want. :dizzy: