1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

staking driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Nov 18, 2004.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

how many of you stake driveways?it seems to make my new customers feel good.what are some thoughts on cheap stakes.im at 40 driveways now and still taking them on.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I really stake driveways to keep me out of the ditch and to keep from hitting obstacles. Get the cheapest possible - so far the ones I've found are from Angelo's & .49 for a bundle of 100. I also found some with reflectors from Aubochon's Hardware for less than a dollar.

If the customer wants to see stakes in his driveway more than I put there, he can buy them.
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I use orange ones with a white refelctive top. They are 42" high i think. I use them mainly to guide me while plowing, my driveway i know really well, but there is a HUGE drop off on the right side as you drive in. I try to get up enough speed to windrow all the snow down the hill in big storms. I am just a little too close then iam going down the hill, thats why i use stakes. Otherwise they prevent me from ripping up grass everywhere i plow. I try to get them in good so they stay, but by the time april rolls around, some of them have fallen, been stolen, hit by town plows, so its a PITA.
  4. c&mlandscaping

c&mlandscaping Junior Member

What i usually do is i use metal stakes put them into the ground and put either orange tape or reflective tape. Last year i dug up so many lawns that wasnt fun to fix.
  5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

remember that metal scratches cars
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

What/When/How to stake

Staking does make the customer feel better, it can also guide us so we do not hit utility boxes or fall in a ditch, smack a curb or roll up some lawn.

The two best kind of stakes to use are cheap hardwood and fiberglass with reflective tape.

Pro's for the wood: buy a pallet and the cost per stake is very minimal, if sideswiped they break and don't scratch up the truck. Con's for wood: To be more visible you must paint the tops, harder to pound in if ground is rocky(the crusher run foundation found next to the walkways and driveways) and unless you buy the more expensive clear(no knot holes) you have to sift thru a bunch just to find good ones.

Pro's for Fiberglass: Clean professional look, High visibility with reflective tape, easy to pound in(with my special tool). Cons for Fiberglass: Cost for models with reflective tape $1.44+ (4' high) around $0.45 without the tape.

What I do is provide free labor to stake the property with fiberglass, just cover cost of material. HomeDepot sells the stakes for $2.45 or did, you buy them for a dollar less on-line (pm me if you want the address) but charge the customer a little more than what they could buy them for at HD. Most customers realize they are going to pay a little more for something if the contractor has to pick it up and inventory it himself. This is a win-win situation: you provide a professional look, with high visibility and the customer is getting a good deal. Stake 40 drives with and average of 4 stakes and you just made $150-$200 for providing a free service.

I have a tool available to put stakes in the ground very easy. pm me if interested. --remember you can't hammer in fiberglass the pole would just bend and if your just shoving them in and hit a rock, you either move it way back(kind of defeating the purpose) or risk not having enough in the ground. I like about 8" in, they are pretty solid that way and hard to pull out(Vandals).

Don't use metal or the fiberglass with the round reflectors on them, these can scratch the truck, also when staking make sure not to stake in your push zone.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  7. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I stake all my lots and only the driveways thats have a lot of bends or dangerous slopes.A lot of my driveways are straight with a garage door at the end so its pretty easy to figure out where the sides are. I use the orange poles from Angelo's. If i have to mark right next to the road where town plows come by i use wooden stakes, they hold up better to the force of the town plows flying by.
  8. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I know my account well enough that I dont need them. When I used to put them up, all they were was a meteal stake and I spray painted them red on the top. I also sometimes used pvc.
  9. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

thanks for the info guys
  10. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I use the little flags that they use to mark underground cables before they dig. I buy them by the bundle and you can get different color flags on them too. I get bright pink or orange
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When I used to stake my driveways I always put the stakes 18" from the edge of what I was marking. If you put them right beside the driveway you might wipe them out with a wind roe. Early in the year the first few snowfalls might completely melt and if you have knocked your stakes down they won't be of any use.