1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stakes?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MikeRi24, Nov 9, 2008.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Just wondering who here uses stakes and what type you use. There is a guy here in town that sells pre-made 2"x2"x8' wooden ones for $0.95 each. I figured I could go to Lowes, get some 2"x2"x8' pieces, cut, point, and paint them myself for FAR less than $0.95. While at Lowes, I noticed they had the pre-made fiberglass markers that I see a lot of guys using for like $2 each! I was just wondering why you would use those, they are a lot smaller and harder to see, and they cost almost 3 times as much as what I can make a wood one for.

2. sherwin

sherwin Member

We got some white fiberglass ones a few years ago for $1 each and painted the tops red. I believe they are for electric fences. I have not seen them in a couple years but they came in bundles of 50.

3. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I buy 1x2x8 and cut them in half at a 45. then use the colored tape at the top. I think I pay .96cents a 1x2x8 so in half they are .48 cents plus the tape. hope this helps

4. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I buy 2x2x8's at lowes. I cut them in half, prime them, paint the entire stake blue and spray paint the tops with fluorescent green. I also clear coat them so the paint lasts for a while. I like to have stakes different from everyone else. It shows people that I have many houses in their area, or the street where I have 6-10 houses in a row. Also they are company colors. Is it overkill? Probably, but they look good and show I put extra time into my work. I bought about 10-15 of those fiberglass stakes from lowes for putting them in stone areas where I can't get the wooden stakes in. I think they are too expensive to use exclusively and harder to see because they are so small.

5. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

We use both wood and fiberglass. The wood we get from Lowes, are like survery stakes, 1"x2"x36" and we paint the tops orange, very cheap only .42 cents each plus paint. The fiberglass ones we use are yellow with reflective red tape on top, expensive though $2 each. The wood we use on all our commercial because of cost (for example, our Lowes we plow we use almost 300 stakes alone) and the fiberglass we use on residentials. They don't like big ugly wood ones, especially the estate homes. The fiberglass, though thinner, more than do the job for residentials, IMO.

Chris

6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I think I've seen your stakes around lol. I work out in Amherst mostly.

I have found that I only put 3-4 stakes out at my average driveway, no one has complained about them yet. as a matter of fact, I had one older lady say to me "ohh those are wonderful! now I know where the driveway is and I wont get my car stuck in the front lawn anymore!" I can just see that I will have to go replace a few there over the course of the season from her backing over them lol. But thats why I like the wood, they are nice and cheap so it one gets damaged or broken, throw it out and put a new one in!

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You can buy grade stakes at Home Depot cheaper than making them. They come in packs of 12 for about 4-5 dollars

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Angelos 4 Ft fiberglas $0.49 each.

9. CEJohnson

CEJohnson Junior Member

I just purchased 1,000 stakes from Angelos Supply. $.47 each shipped next day. I just sharpened one end on my benchtop grinder so they would drive more easily.

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

J Thomas

Polyurethane Driveway Stakes 3/8" Diameter x 26" H
    Part No Part No Part No Description Quantity Price EA
    ORANGE GREEN RED/WHITE SWIRL
    STAKE1 STG2 RWS-1 3/8" Dia. x 26"H 500+ $0.43
    STAKE1 STG2 RWS-1 3/8" Dia. x 26"H 250-499 $0.47
    STAKE1 STG2 RWS-1 3/8" Dia. x 26"H 1-249 $0.55

Polyurethane Driveway Stakes 1/2" Diameter x 36" H
    Part No Description Quantity Price EA
    ORANGE
    ROD-36 1/2" Dia. x 36"H 500+ $0.89
    ROD-36 1/2" Dia. x 36"H 250-499 $0.93
    ROD-36 1/2" Dia. x 36"H 1-249 $1.01

Polyurethane Driveway Stakes 3/4" Diameter x 48" H
    Part No Description Quantity Price EA
    ORANGE
    ROD-48 3/4" Dia. x 48"H 500+ $1.52
    ROD-48 3/4" Dia. x 48"H 250-499 $1.80
    ROD-48 3/4" Dia. x 48"H 1-249 $2.24

Fiberglass Driveway Markers 5/16" Diameter x 48" H
    Part No Part No Description Quantity Price EA
    ORANGE YELLOW
    SK-758 SK-759 5/16" Dia. x 48"H 500+ $1.02
    SK-758 SK-759 5/16" Dia. x 48"H 250-499 $1.12
    SK-758 SK-759 5/16" Dia. x 48"H 1-249 $1.41

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  11. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

They would be buried by January.........hopefully

12. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

the problem with the cheap wood stakes is you bump them once and its game over. Fiber glass all the way. I like the small fiberglass rod with the tip painted flourecent or reflective tape. durable, cheap and easy to put in the ground

13. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

If your 4' markers are buried and you can't tell where the edges are, then it's time to lay off the suace!!!:drinkup: lol

I agree, inexpensive, easy to put in, very flexible & resilient and more "customer friendly". Just my opinion formed from previous experiences.

14. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I use the same thing. I also put reflective tape on the tops. I don't use the 2x2's because people complain about the hole it leaves in the lawn :rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Not trying to bust B@lls but I don't understand the point of staking driveways. You should be able to "feel" the edge of the driveway with your plow for the 1st storm, then the banks will define the edges for the rest of the winter. You also don't scrape up your truck. BTW, I never had to reseed in the spring. Oh yeah, don't use metal stakes. One of my customers put out metal stakes at the end of his driveway last year. I usually plow like they don't exist so I drove over and bent the stake forward then when I backed out it pierced my radiator. Limped her back to the shop, bought a new one and was back on the route in 90 minutes.

16. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I dont use them to stake the edges of the drive really. I use them more to identify hazards, ie. propane tanks, pump stations, rocks, stone walls etc....

17. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

Yeah what he said. : salute: And if you "Feel the Edge" you already tore up the grass or whatever your feeling :nono:

18. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

How much was shipping? I was going to place an order online but its telling me $50 to ship 250 stakes. Could that be??

19. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I agree on marking the obsticles 100%. I still have not rolled up sod with the feel tecnique.

20. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Ordered mine 11 days ago, called me twice now (days apart) saying credit card problems. First one was incorrect expiry date (I had A TON of problems with their website, took over an hour to order 100 damn stakes), second call everything was right and was being denied for some reason... put it thru while i was on the phone with no problems. Shipping it out today, at least another two to get it to New York... not real impressed on the timeline, obviously not in a hurry to get my order out. If there were credit card issues they should have been taken care of by day two (or three at the latest).