1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawnchoice, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice Junior Member

Just curious to see what method you guys use to paint your plow stakes before you put them onsite.

Thanks,

Lawnchoice

2. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

liquid paint

3. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

flour. orange spray paint for wood stakes.

I started buying orange fiberglass stakes from Agnelo's supplies. I like the idea of orange and fiberglass, but they are a bear to get into the ground..

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I buy Angelo's by the 100 bundle, too. We have a lot of rocky ground to contend with, so I use a metal rod the same thickness and pound it into the ground for a guide hole. Works like a charm.

5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

That is a great idea Mick. I just use wooden stakes painted orange.

6. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Orange spray paint. It dries much faster than liquid.

7. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

That's a good idea. I was making holes with the wooden stakes and then putting the fiberglass stakes into the holes, but it takes too long.

I'll see if I can find a metal rod..

Thanks! :waving:

8. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I bought some 36" tall marking flags this year instead of wooden stakes. I'm not sure how well they're gonna hold up, but I was worried about someone slipping and landing on a wooden stake. I had them printed with the company name and phone number. I started flagging today and at the local bank, while talking to the manager, two different people were reading the flags, so it works great for advertising. I got a flag insertion tool, but it's not going deep enough into the ground. I purchased a long shaft masonry drill bit (about a foot long) and gonna try it out with a cordless drill.

9. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I found some nice oak stakes, with white bottoms and flourescent orange for the tops.They seem to hold up real well, even when they are hit with flying snow/ice. My buddy has used the same stakes for 4 years now and only paid about 6=$6/each..not bad $1.50/year so far...

10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

get a timber nail, i think that is what it is called, about 8 in long, pound it into the ground with your trusty hammer, remove then istall plow marker.

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I use the metal rod as well to make a guide hole, its the only way i can get the things straight. Then the dam kids across the street steal them from my house and they get stolen form other places i plow too. There is the occasional driveway on my route that stakes are essential for me not to do something really bad.