1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stakes fade quickly in first season

Discussion in 'Discount Snow Stakes' started by MSS Mow, Nov 18, 2013.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I purchased Discount Snow Stakes last season expecting them to be of high quality and would not fade for several seasons (as promised). They arrived and appeared to be of sturdy construction, and at a good price. However, after a full season out in the elements, they faded very badly.

Fast forward to this fall, I have received more than a half dozen sales calls from Discount Snow Stakes trying to sell me more for the new season. Each time, I have told them that I was not happy with how they faded and was not interested in more at the time. Each time I was promised that it would be looked into and someone would get back to me. No one has gotten back to me yet. If you're looking for a one season stake then go for it. If you're expecting them to last for several seasons...Buyer Beware!!!

Not impressed with customer service at this point.

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I had the same fading, and your right on the sales calls and emails.

3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I found 4' orange fiberglass stakes w/ white reflective tape on the top end at my local discount grocery store...2 for .99 cents. They even have a beveled end & cheap plastic end cap. Of course there not high quality, but look as good or better than most. For that price, I'm not worried about what becomes of them over the next several months. I bought them in bundles of 50, before the store put them in the display.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

they look pretty faded in the picture ...
    actually not existent

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

They'll all fade without a UV inhibiter, I bought 300 from another supplier for $.49ea at the end of the season they were faded.

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I never said anything about posting a picture. If they want a picture, I will send them one, again.

You may be right, but part of their selling point is that they do not fade like their competitor's stakes do.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I end up losing about 12-15% of my stakes every season due to kids taking them, or trashed/broken. Paying a premium for them doesn't make sense to my but that's my opinion.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Assuming one has a lot of UV rays in the winter. lol

Michigan as a rule doesn't. Something about a big warm body of water to the west, southwest and northwest and lots of cold air. The ones I get from JDL last quite some time.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Good point Mark, out my way we get an average of 300days of sun plus being at a higher altitude it's more intense.

10. Mark Oomkes

You didn't have to remind me. :(

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've flown into Grand Rapids then driven to Greenville 3 times in the past 2yrs, 2 of the 3 times it was nothing but rain and thick cloud cover, no thanks!

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I lose that many too, which is why I bought from DISCOUNT Snow Stakes. I did NOT pay a premium. Their prices were as cheap as I could find for the stakes I needed.

All the more reason they should not have faded so quickly! We here in Maine don't see a lot of UV rays in the winter either. lol

13. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

I have been useing Discounts snow stakes for about 4 years. Faded, Yes. Beyond what is reasonably expected, No.
    I'm still using them 4 years later and they are still acceptable even for residentials.
    Still a value compared to wooden stakes in my opinion.

14. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

I have bought from discount for the past two seasons. I buy the el cheapo models as customers run them down ect. Mine seem to fade each year, but i have yet to see any fiberglass stake that hasn't.

I just looked on discounts website and dont see anything about fading. Maybe you just got someone who didnt know about the product?

15. Mark Oomkes

Why would you go to Greenville? J\K

My auto headlights kicked on every time I started my truck yesterday. I forget what the record is, but something like 21 or 22 days without sunshine. November and December are the worst.

16. DiscountSnowStakes

DiscountSnowStakes Senior Member
    from Boston

MSS... very sorry about your experience, i am the GM and have never heard of your complaint, if i had, i would have addressed it directly.. to address them now:

the fading - we have never claimed that our stakes wont fade, ALL fiberglass fades.... my fiberglass, my competitors fiberglass... everyones fiberglass! ultimately, snow stakes are a $1 product, they can break, they can fade, that is just a fact.... if i could get customers to pay $5/stake, i promise i would create the perfect fiberglass marker for you... i dont have a timeline of when a stake should or should not fade, obviously they are in the elements and exposed to a different amount of moisture, sun etc, so each stake will fade or wont fade a different rate

calls & emails - we are a business, it is our goal to keep our current customers and to obtain new customers... if you are receiving calls or emails from us and you do not want them, PLEASE let me know, you will be removed and not contacted.

any questions or feedback are always more than welcome
    866-938-0922
    www.discountsnowstakes.com
    chris@discountsnowstakes.com

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

In no way is it a personal destination point, I have ties/do business with a company called DME.

We go 2-3 days without sun and it's breaking news......

18. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

But you did claim they would not fade nearly as quickly as your competitor's stakes which are an "inferior grade of fiberglass". Based on this, I expected more than one season before seeing substantial fade. I am only expecting to get two seasons out of these now, whereas I was expecting 4-5 based on feedback when I purchased them. Still cheaper than wooden but not the "Discount" I was expecting.

And I do not mind sales calls from a company that I have purchased product from. What I DO mind is when, on THREE separate calls was told that I would received a call back regarding my complaint, and not once receiving a call back.

At this point, I don't really care. Clearly it's the way things are handled at Discount Snow Stakes. I'll move on and find another supplier who actually wants my continued business, not just a one time sale. I just feel it's important for others to know that these stakes are no better than others.

19. DiscountSnowStakes

DiscountSnowStakes Senior Member
    from Boston

MSS, I have never spoken to you, I have made no claims on the fading of the stakes to you and no where on our website does it claim that it is impossible for the stakes to fade, or give a time table . We do in fact have a higher grade of fiberglass than our competitors, this enables them to last but with the green dyes, it could have an advanced fading time.

I spoke to one of our representative who remembers the conversation with you well, he offered to replace the faded ones at half the price and asked that you ship the faded ones back to us to so we could inspect the quality and improve on them. does this ring a bell? to me that seems to be a reasonable resolution.

thank you for your information to us and our customers. sorry it didnt work out to your liking. have a great snow season. -DSS

20. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

A question I asked you last year before I purchased from you:

"Any fiberglass stake I've ever seen is usually so faded after one or two seasons at most, it has lost it's value. What kind of fading do you see with your stakes? Is there a guarantee?"

Your response:

"see, thats the thing no one at parties wants to talk about... the grade of fiberglass is extremely important. i have customers call me all the time and tell me they found a snow stake for $.01 cheaper... well, good work, but the fiberglass grade is low, which simply means it will fade quicker and not be as durable.

honestly, we have been in business over 5 years, when we were ready to ship out our very first batch of snow stakes, we took 15 out of the bundle and planted them in front of our business, today, they all stand there, one is faded, the rest our orange gold... TRUE STORY

some of our stakes, along with everybody else's, will in fact fade, know what though? wood looks terrible, there is no reflective value at night, and very few make it to the next season

call us 866-938-0922

http://discountsnowstakes.com/"

Now obviously you did not guarantee here that they will not fade, but you make it clear they will last a lot longer than other brands before fading. That to me means more than one season.

And at no time have I been offered a chance to return the faded ones to be replaced with half price new stakes. Had that been offered earlier before the season started, I would have gladly taken you up on it as yes it would be a very reasonable solution.

It's too late now. I've already had to use them again for this season. Every single conversation I've had with folks in your office has gone the exact same way. They are always very polite and professional and always apologize. They then tell me they have to look into it and discuss with their manager and someone will get back to me. That's how it ends. No one ever gets back to me. At this point, that is what upsets me more than the fact that the stakes have faded faster than expected.