1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stake rack on F-250 short box?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SharpBlades, Mar 18, 2014.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

The stock bed on my f-250 short box is starting to get pretty rotten, and the front supports going to the frame are toast, so the box is leaning forward making it look like the truck is folding in half. The truck is a 1999, 7.3 powerstroke with only 170k on it, and besides the bed it is in respectable shape.

I have looked into getting a new (used) bed, but the prices are outrageous, then there's shipping, painting, and installation cost. I think a stake rack would come in handy for grass clippings and small mulch installs or deliveries, especially if it has a dump option.

I am just wondering if anyone has a stake rack on an f-250 short bed... pros and cons as opposed to just putting on a new pickup box, any recommendations as far as brands, and how much your bed cost you.

Also, is it possible to put an 8' stake rack body on my truck even though it has the short (6.5'?) box on it?

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

There is a truck near where I live where it looks as if the frame is broken right behind the cab but it is the bed causing it. Looks funny. Anyway, I think you are talking about a flatbed of some sort. Not sure what a stake bed is but I assume we are talking it is the same thing. Best thing I ever did was to get rid of the factory rotting bed. You can see the build of my flatbed dumpbed in my signature.

3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

yes, that's what I'm talking about, a flat bed with removable stake sides

4. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

just bought myself a new 2014 shorted for my 05 f250 for 2500
    i know most flatbeds are around 2,000 plus another 500 isn for the dump part and then you have to buy led lights and sides after that

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

My dad's 04 has the same problem. Bed prices are choking the crap out of us! We'll be going the rack body route in a few weeks with any luck. Still weighing options but, neither of us can see the point in buying another pickup bed that's going to do the same thing.

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Please tell me where you are getting the dump part (scissor and pump set up) for $500.00. I have built 2 dump beds already and possibly one more soon. The best price I found is about $1200.00 for the kit, which are welded by 8 year olds in Mexico. The next bed I do I am going to make my own scissor. Most mass produced beds are press brake bent sheet metal. Be careful of this as they rot out too. I have at least $1800.00 in steel (I use New) alone in my last bed build using heavy angle, channel and rect. tubing.

7. contractor 413

contractor 413 Junior Member

I have built a few of these on 1/2 ton Chevys. No need for scissors just use longer dual cylinders. They will tip more than the truck can hold!

8. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i apologize i meant 1500$ including install
    if i were you i would have an aluminum one custom made to your specs