1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stake color question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dr Who, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I am planing on staking this week, we do not start seeing snow for a few more weeks (sticking to the pavement snow) and the ground never gets frozen completely.

I am using wooden lathing/stakes, I would buy stakes from discountstakes, but were I am staking is a ghetto area and I know they will get stolen.

I do however have a couple drives that I need to mark the drive by the road, I always hit the yard by the way it curves, so I may get a few discountstakes for them.

Back to my original question, what is the best color to paint the wooden ones, I just need to mark the corners of a few parking areas in the ghetto, I know white is out of the question :), I have a hard time seeing yellow, so I was thinking either red, purple (have some cheap house paint) or orange that I would have to buy.

I would think that any of them would stand out, and we do not get a lot of snow and the piles almost always melt off before the next event, so there would be little to no chance that they would get buried.

Also, while I am on it, do you all have any ideas of marking a raised water meter cover in the middle of a drive, I hit the dang thing every year because I forget were its at.
  2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I Paint all my stakes White......It makes it more of a Challenge to find them....:nod:...Thumbs Up

Think about painting yours Pink....That way the stand out for you and i don't think anyone else will choose that Color.....:salute:
  3. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I thought about white, that way no one would steal them, and I could keep playing "guess were the grass is" :)

I do not recall ever seeing anyone else put out stakes, except for one shopping center were they marked the speed bumps, but the stakes were there only one snow, then gone????

I never thought of pink, I worked with a guy that painted all his tools pink so no one would steal them...

I also thought about stenciling my contact info on them, a little advertising does not hurt, even though its plastered on my truck...
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I was Not Kidding about Pink....Its an Eye catcher and might even get you more Work...payup
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It's funny around here, we have everything from typical orange to bright green and hot pink. Ours are bright "bumble bee" yellow on the top 6-8" then hunter green the next 6-8". There's no doubt who does what lot around here. I did 2 color's so my driver's can easily find the properties, if there's a yellow and green stake....we plow them.
  6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Paint them clear!
  7. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I did not think you were kidding about the pink, I have some bright red here ($5 oops paint from home depot) and some crappy mocha color, more oops paint that I think I am going to use to lighten up the red.

I was thinking the same thing, women do not (normally) want to shovel snow and they general like the color pink, should catch there eye at least.

As for the 2 tone, I never thought of that, I may apply that to mine.
    Pink/Red or Pink/ LT Purple, both with dark lettering?

I have to go out and buy some stakes Monday, I may play around with some colors that I can make out of what I have here. I hate to buy $35.00 gal paint for .35c sticks....

I was thinking about just cutting my own sticks also, I have a bunch of old 2x6x48" tong and grove flooring I salvaged from a warehouse that is just feeding the termites now. If the weather stays the same next week I may, its 60-65 today.

But I think I just might use the Pink, Just going to look funny having a 6' 220lb man w/ 13" beard driving in pink stakes at random properties:laughing:
  8. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Thumbs Up
    Now just to find that light refracting paint, I wonder if Lowes has it?
    Maybe I need to check military surplus at Area 51.com :laughing:
  9. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

give this a try, I paint some of the 1000 1/4 fiberglass rods we installed, there is not was not enough surface area on the rod for reflection to justify painting all of them, yet it did work on the ones we painted

COLOR: 214944 - Reflective
  10. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Reflective spray paint? I did not know there was such a thing!

I may give that a try for the top strip, or the lettering...

Huh, maybe I can paint some strips on the front of my blade so people can see that big yellow thing on the front of my truck....

I definitely am going to check out that paint! I assume Lowes/home Depot has it.
  11. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

here is a photo of the stakes that I painted. the color is clear so its hard to tell if you have complete coverage or not, from the photo you can see i blew it on the coverage. I think I had a few beers when I was doing this...The FLASH is what is reflecting, took a photo with out the flash and you could not see the paint... the black is to make sure that 6-8 inches is in the ground. ACE hardware had the paint, $8 a can or something like that. EBAY had the paint for $20 a can....

12. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Only on a couple places do i use wooden stakes but we painted ours what ever color we had in the shop! lol Some of them have a purple-ish stain on them, another set has that reflective orange (that was in a spray can from walmart! Only like 2 or 3 bucks for the can!

Really we never have a problem finding our wooden stakes once we shine our headlights down the driveway or path.

Then everywhere else we use Green stakes then Dip the tops in a 5 gallon bucket of black paint. This way We know which driveways are ours!

I use wooden stakes VERY SPARINGLY because they WILL fuc* up your truck if you hit them.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  13. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I'll be honest. I can't stand the look of any stakes but we have to use them on most properties. I do use yellow stakes from disc stakes and think there great. I think the orange looks to much like a damn construction zone! I used to rip 2x4's into plow stakes and dip them in a can of green indoor paint. Lol. Any way, I would paint em up what ever color you want and wrap the tip with reflective tape. That worked for me one year. But like I said, I go fiberglass now. Super flexible if you wack em. And I budget in the extra money if some are stolen or broke. I just think they look more professional, even in the ghetto.
  14. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I would think that eBlow would be cheaper, but I guess not. I think I might give reflective paint a try (see where its is cheaper, wally world, Lowe's or ace), but use it after I paint the stake with house paint.
    Painting that black so you know how deep the stakes are is a good idea!

Plow Man Foster,
    Yeah I figure that wooden stakes would be harder on the tires if I broke one off in frozen ground and ran it over!.

7 Below
    I really do not have to stake, I have winged it for the last 3 years, but I hate to hit the grass on a couple of my drives. I hate to make a mess, the owners do not care and my friend takes care of there landscaping so what ever I do we fix in the spring anyway. I just want to try to limit my guess work, and maybe look a little more professional :laughing:

The ones in the ghetto, well the way they are set up, I always hit the grass, and I have a fire hydrant that i have to work around. Most of the time I have to shovel them anyway due to cars blocking them, or parked to were its just a pain to use the truck.

I would use plastic, but i am sure that the locals would be using them on each other like a switch! Its a pretty rough area, I have had more then once been watched to be either car jacked or mugged, but I always make sure they can see my buddies Smith & Wesson :)
  15. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

All my stakes are in already, wooden painted orange. I hope nobody minds, I'm doing them in pink next year!
  16. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

here is what happen to me because I didnt stake the road. plus I rip the side wall on a tire at 3am when I went off the road again. We stake the road every year and knock on wood, I have not gone off again

17. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Lucky I have no were that I would get stuck if I ran off the road...

That sucks that you busted a tire, I know what "bobcat" tires cost since I used to own a auto service station and sold tires, including equipment tires, and tires have gone up at least 30% since then!....

at least you did not turn it completely over!
  18. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

My kid was in the bobcat and I was in the truck tugging the thing trying to get it back on the asphalt with 60 feet of 2" bungee/snatch rope. I told him put on the seat belt and if it rolls, it will be a slow roll and then turn it off and I will get him out. He was PISSED that he had to be in the bobcat. the wife said NO she was not getting in and left us there... It took an hour or so and we got it out. The problem was the blower was on the bobcat and we could not use it to push our way out as it would have destroyed the blower...
  19. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

:laughing: Heck if it were me or some of the people I have worked with as a kid, we would be pissed if it didn't roll! :laughing:

Then again, I am in the south and most of the people I work with are also from the south, and you know that we do not have the sense to get in out of the rain:laughing:

Main thing is no one was hurt and you did not destroy the blower..
  20. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Our stakes are Lavander (purple). My daughter picked the color 10 yrs ago & it stuck. Plus NO ONE else has it. There are lots of guys around here with pink