1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless Steel Plow?? YES!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, May 6, 2002.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, Fisher has done it. It is called the X Blade. A local dealer has one, and told me he can order 10 of them before the official release in September. It will be available in all sizes from 8' up.

Can't help but wonder if all of our input on those "super plow" and "dream plow" threads had any bearing on Fisher building this plow. I must say, kudos to them either way!

The Angle Of Attack is not as steep, and the trip design has changed, along with the mounting system. I would have taken more pics, but the digital camera battery was dead, and I was only able to squeeze out one pic before it shut itself off.

Here it is.

2. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I forgot to mention it has curb guards on it too. It will help stop the notorious end wear on Fishers, and may even help the common edge "smile" since it mounts with steel plates on the bottom. We are going to pick up our dump truck at this dealer tomorrow, so maybe my boss will take a few more pics for me.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck this is very good news :). You might be right about this site having an effect on all this r & d.

Couple of observations, first, they have taken the BOSS idea to a new level with this cross bracing (they have gone much farther IMO). The trip spring design looks alot like the Diamond setup. Also I seem to remember a company making stainless municipal plows, anybody else seen these?

If you go back to this dealer could you ask him some questions?Will it be availble in V's? How much does it weigh in comparison to the regular plows? What gauge steel? And last but certainly not least, cost? Any info you can get will probably be months ahead of the Fisher website :rolleyes: Thanks JD.

Also do you think Fisher will have one at St.Louis?
    Last edited: May 6, 2002

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I just looked a little closer at this picture and I just realised that it doesn't have a motor on the frame, (at least none that is visible) is this a belt driven pump?
  5. Chuck Smith

from NJ

First I want to rephrase the "angle of attack", it IS actually steeper, being closer to 90°. They did this to allow the plow to trip easier.

The plow in the picture is a 9' model, for a large truck, so my guess is an underhood hydro set up, be it cenral or Monarch type.

To attach the plow assembly to the truck, there is one lever. That's it, just one lever and it's hooked up. You can barely see it on the left side of the headgear in the pic.

I will try and get more info today. The salesman was all over us when we were looking at the plow. I love talking to salesmen about plows, LOL. I think the look on their faces is funny when I start telling them about the plow.

I'll see if I can get some more pics, and any sales literature he has there. Going into NYC today, but I do need some supplies from another supplier down the street from the plow dealer, so I might be able to get the info and pics later today (or before the NYC run). I should definitely have as much info as possible in the next day or two.

Here's a link to that old thread.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Chuck, I have an electric over hydraulic 9' that I'm wanting to get a new moldboard for. Do you know if this X Blade is interchangable? Also interested in the cost, naturally.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i miss the fisher yellow color:D looks cool though
  8. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Chuck, just wondering if you were able to attend the NTEA show in Orlando this past March. If not, Sno-Way also has introduced a new blade 32" height and also was on display with a stainless skin. We also are using diagonal bracing but not x style, we did not see the Fisher X blade then. Our new blade will be 8.6' 9' 10' scheduled for release this fall also. So, it sounds like everyone out there is trying to out do each other, it should be interesting. Thanks for the picture of the X Blade.
  9. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Is this design going to be available in the V? I see JD PLOWER asked the question. The vee could use some extra torsional stiffness in the wings ( no more creases in the plates)

10. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Well, I stopped by the dealer today to see if he had any sales literature. (Since I dropped a truck off next door to get some new tires). He gave me a "single page" spec sheet (which I left in my office). I looked at the plow sitting next to a "normal" Minute Mount II in the yard and it appears the moldboard assemblies will interchange. I would imagine that the cost of the stainless moldboard alone would be close to that of the complete steel blade. Again he said the word is a limited supply until August when they go into full production.

Off topic.....

He took me inside the shop to show me a Monroe belly blade they were mounting on a truck for NYC. Said he has a contract to do 100 city trucks before the winter.

I noticed they have quite a surplus of new truck beds that came off trucks they installed service bodies on. If you are willing to drive to NJ, they might have what you need (if anyone is looking for a new or used bed).

He said his first shipment of the 200 Meyer plows he ordered will begin arriving next week. He said by far he sells more Meyer than any other brand. On an interesting note, all he sells (keeps in stock) is the Husky line.

I'm sure the Fisher booth will be busy at the SIMA Symposium in St. Louis next week.