1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless steel moldboard slick idea ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by welded wrenches, Oct 19, 2004.

1. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

Slippery idea.Anyone custom fabricated a non-magnetic stainless steel (sheet metal thickness) liner and tack weld this over the entire face of the orignal mold board I am going to try this.Just tack weld the outer perimeter and a few midway/center plug welds. I'll be using stainless mig weld and grind/sand welds smooth. End result very little snow sticking to mold board,less weight for E-47 w/st-90 lift up.and a mirror like finish.*non magnetic stainless is tougher to cut than magnetic stainless. im a newbie 1st posing.great site,ive been reading these posts for over a years thank you mark/welded wrenches

2. North Country

North Country Senior Member

welded wrenches Welcome!

Make sure that you post pics of this project, it is very interesting. If done correctly I bet it will look great and at a fraction of the price of an X-Blade! – michael

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to do the stainless moldboard ( may do it anyways) but I bought a sheet of 1/16" thick LEXAN and pop-rivited it to the moldboard, it is slicker then a greased eel!

4. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Big Nate - I like the idea of Lexan over the moldboard. Where do you buy lexan and how much does a piece that big cost? Would plexiglass work as good?

5. DouglasCo

DouglasCo Junior Member

Both these sound like good ideas. Has anyone else done this? Pics? Does stainless resist sticking as much as poly? I hear everyone talking about sticking, but I haven't had much issue, but i've only seen a few months of dry snow here in Colorado. Maybe its a coastal thing.

6. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

There is a paint we use on the farm thats called slickplate,you paint inside of wagons or dump pits to make grain and dust slide down eaiser.Should do the same for a snow blade.I think you can get it at any farm store,its a gray metallic color.It is slick to,everything slides off of it.I think it has graphite in it.

7. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

The slickplate stuff woks pretty good, lasts as long and works about as good as plain old aluminum paint from walmart. But I bought a poly liner this year and it's by far better, and doesn't need re-applied during the season.

8. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

My blade is galvanized steel and snow does not stick to it. Probably cheaper than stainless if anyone wants to try it as a liner.