1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

STAINLESS STEEL Mold board skinned/finished

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by welded wrenches, Nov 11, 2004.

1. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

Nebie here,2nd posting.:) Slick slippery Idea.This was just a wild day dream a few months back.Now its for real.I just took some used non-magnetic stainless steel sheet aprox.3/32 inch thick and welded over top of the original mold board of a 7 1/2 myers. I weld several stitch welds across the top edge,trimmed the stainless 1/4 inch shorter than the left and right side edge.so i could weld a solid bead of stainless weld from top to botton of each side.By doing so grinding curbs and etc.would not grind of the actual stainless sheet.I drilled all the cutting edge holes through the bottom edge and did no welding on the bottom edge.(the bolts will keep it tight.) Anyone experienced plowing with stainless moldboard or even seen one?IF the light reflects off a stainless plow,turn off plow lights,conserve energy LMO. newbie-user name: welded wrenches Loc.n.w.Pa
  2. danno

danno Senior Member

The Fisher X- Blade is S.S.
  3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

A friend of mine has the SS X-Blade and it plows real nice. How much did the material cost ya? Do you have any pics?

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

In theory this is a terrific idea. Keep us posted on the results. Pro and con.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

saw a meyer with a ss skin for sale on ebay a few weeks ago
  6. welded wrenches

s.s. materal costs..

The stainless sheet was free.the stainless came from a old walk-in freezer.This was a Cool-ER idea.The only cost in fabing this was,2 cut off wheels on the skill saw.(i cut 98 % percent of my steel with skill saw free-hand)and also some stainless mig wire $$.Sorry no pics available.Possible pics.maybe by way of us mail. what was the price of that stainless skinned plow you saw on ebay? thanks for the replies p.s. try drilling non-magnetic stainless member.welded wrenches
  7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I saw it too but for $700 you can do it yourself and save some $$$$$$

I am going to skin my blade this weekend with 306 stainless as well

I will post some pics
  8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Hey, WW, do your lights go off now when you drop the plow? :D
  9. welded wrenches

hi cardoctor''and .. lights go..

Well about the light going off when the plow drops.I lost a light when last season when my plow hit a manhole cover.light busted totally off and was just hanging by the wires.ERRR.i but anyhow where the snow. w.w. welded wrenches.
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I think he meant like the fridge door closing :D
  11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I did.

Can stainless be treated like titanium or other metals in a bath that will give it a patina? That would look cool, depending on the truck colors. I'm sure you've seen watches and knives etc., that go from gold-purple -blue. Electro plating I guess. I saw a R/C show where they were treating the shocks on a car. I think they just used a 9 volt battery and some red wine.
    Just a thought, probably a silly one.