1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless steel exhaust, worth it?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Motorcityman, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Motorcityman

Motorcityman Junior Member

I have an 2006 Ram 3500 with a 5.9 cummings and the exhaust is totally rotted out from the cat back. I run a V-box spreader so the bottom of my truck see's lots of salt, will the typical stainless exhaust system on the market hold up to the salt or will it rot out in five years just like the stock system that was on it? I only have 50K on the truck. Thanks, Joe.

2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Im not 100% sure but I think the whole exhaust system has a lifetime warranty along as nothing has been modded. Has something to do with diesel emissions I think. Look in the owners manual I think there is info in there. I might be totally wrong but I thought i saw something in my book.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

What's a cummings ?

4. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u Member

all over you

5. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

cummings? curious whats that?

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

The stainless is going to cost you an arm and a leg. I would think a standard exhaust is the better option. It would still take 5 years or better to rot it out.

7. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Stainless rusts too, I had a Magnaflow on my Dodge and after 6 months it was already turning colors. No holes in it, but then again I'm sure not too far down the road it will start to rot. Since you run a salter, why not dump the exhaust under the truck or have it come out the side of the box, at least that way it will be out of the direct line of the salter.

And there is no "G" in Cummins.

8. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

That's not entirely correct. there are different grades of stainless. Exhaust systems made out of T409 stainless will rust, but offer an extended corrosion resistance over steel or alumanized steel.

T309 however won't rust (in my experience), is usually a fully polished exhaust system and will outlast your truck.

I replaced the stock exhaust on my 01 last year and went with the much cheaper alumanized steel. for the price difference I figure that if It will probably outlast how long I will have the truck.
    I bought mine from www.dieselautopower.com The owner Jacob Kidd is a pretty good guy to deal with and he will cut you a deal if you buy multiple products at once. I saved almost $300 on exhaust, a turbo, 4x2 low kit, steering stabilizer, and exhaust clamps.

and yeah.... no "G" in Cummins Thumbs Up

9. BlueRam2500

While you are correct about 409, the 304 material my Magnaflow was made out of did start to rust after having been on my truck for 5 years.

10. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

surface rust or deep rust? i'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just curious.. like I said in my experience it never did, but that wasn't on a plow truck.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I had a 304 kit on my Dmax that was pretty orange after it's 3rd winter here. It never really "rusted", but looked like sh!t. Especially for being something like $700. The polished look didn't last but a few weeks IIRC. I can say though, I've had the cheaper "aluminized" pro-flo kits completely rot out after a few years of the same thing. I have an aluminized Diamond Eye kit on my Dodge. One winter so far and it's still decent, although I don't see it lasting 5.

12. BlueRam2500

Surface rust. It looked like garbage after a few years. I plowed for 2 years with the truck, no spreader or anything when I had the exhaust on the truck. I paid $700 something for it also.

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

It's one of those speshul engines that only a few Dodge owners have......

14. Motorcityman

Motorcityman Junior Member

Man we have some spell check police here huh, my old lady was under the computer desk as I was writing the post, what can I say? :eek:

I think I will just go with an aluminized set and be done with it, hopefully in five years I'll have a new truck.