1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless Steel cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Petr51488, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Anyone know if a stainless steel cutting edge will work better then a regular steel edge? Price doesnt really matter as its only a small strip and can be obtained cheap. Does stainless scratch more then steel because of its harder material? It will be used for sidewalks, so scratching is an issue.
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i could be wrong but i don't think you would notice any difference between SS and Carbon S as far a scratching...it might wear different though.
  3. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

now thats something i havent heard before. if your worried about scratching get poly or go rubber.
  4. sherwin

sherwin Member

I always thought stainless was softer, I could be wrong though. We are using some poly this year and the results have been excellent so far.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It depends on the alloy of the stainless. It will be harder to drill then mild steel and since rust isn't normally an issue with a cutting edge I can't see where it would be of any valve to use SS over Mild Steel.

Unless it's free:p
  6. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

So you guys are saying that theres a difference then regular steel and carbon steel? I've never heard of carbon steel before. Currently have have a metal edge that came with the plow and its working perfectly. I would like to keep it that way. So they actually sell a carbon steel and regular steel? whats the difference?
  7. JBFab

JBFab Junior Member

Carbon Steel / Regular Steel, are one in the same. It's called Carbon Steel because unlike stainless, it has a substantial amount of Carbon. While stainless lacks much of the carbon and has a higher content of chromium. Most commonly available grades of stainless are actually softer that carbon steel. I don't know what it would do on a cutting edge, but I am willing to bet that after prolonged use, you may develop a significant burr on the backside of the edge. I really wouldn't bother with stainless in this application.
  8. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Great thanks. I'm surprised no one's heard of or used a stainless steel cutting edge. They do make stainless plows though lol
  9. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Which have carbon steel cutting edges.;)
  10. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

If I remember right... from back when I held a real job. Cutting edges are a high carbon steel, so they wear much better, but also can break and shatter when you make a good hard hit.

Welded many a chunk back into grader blades.... if the operator could find it... after hitting a high manhole casting plowing snow.

Regular stainless is more prone to cracking from vibration and not as tough as mild steel for most general applications..... to my understanding?