1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless Steel-Caster Review

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by snomover, Dec 16, 2015.

1. snomover

snomover Junior Member
    from Maine

So I dropped the ball and bought one of the new All Electric Steelcasters this year a 7', so far I like it. I have a few cons. 1- They didn't tell me you have to buy their proprietary relay kit to make the auxiliary outputs work. The work light kit they offer is about $105 for just one light, the relay is available separate for about $40 so I bought a couple of those to rig my own work lights. The second con I have with it is its You can barely tell when its running, the buttons are hard to see with any daylight. Only othe complaint I have is there is no detailed instructions about the wiring, as to what goes where and what wires power what. the dealer was no help they told me to take the controller apart, and there would be wires i needed to connect. Not believing this I called Fisher Engineering, and they were a great help explaining how it worked. I'll update this again halfway through the season. Plow on my friends.

20151216_094527.jpg

20151216_094534.jpg

20151216_094518.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pic 2 shows a module and wiring, is that outside by the salter?

3. chad1234

chad1234 Junior Member
    from 48348

Some of the connections have heat shrink some don't wtf who puts those connectors on and doesn't heat those up .

4. snomover

snomover Junior Member
    from Maine

Those wires are in the box on the back of the sander. any yes I put the heat shrink connectors in there last night i just couldn't wait to post a pic, they are all heat shrunk now. lol

5. snomover

snomover Junior Member
    from Maine

I also Used AmsOil Metal protector on all the exposed connectors on the module to protect them from the elements.

6. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I tested one at a recent trade show and I had a few thoughts

I love the dump button

The chute design is great, keeps all the material away from the truck and can be angled for a certain direction

I don't get why one of the electric motors is not covered I understand it's sealed

7. chad1234

chad1234 Junior Member
    from 48348

Looks like a nice spreader

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I would put some weather seal around that box, to keep as much out as I could.
    The motor wouldn't worry me, I have one on my old western that is closer than that and it seems to handle it well. I only replaced it once, and got the old one rebuilt as a spare...seventh season.
    That wiring is a mess though...

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I think having the motors exposed is the best thing about it, that way you can keep them clean and maintained, on a Boss salter you have to take the whole thing apart, guess how often the salt gets cleaned off those motors and wiring....

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Angling the sheet metal off the back would've been a better design as well, then if your loader operator misses off the back it doesn't ride there and need cleaning up.
    PS Put a chain through a pipe and twist that bumper back into place...

11. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Thanks for the review. I was looking at one but have learned my lesson in buying first runs of new equipment.

What made you choose this over the poly caster?
    How is the overall build quality? A guy in the maine forum was saying he was really dissapointed in the welds and quality of the unit.

Also wondering does it come with a tarp? I can't see where you would attach a tarp, but my phone has a cracked screen haha.
    It looks like a great spreader, good luck with it if we ever get anything here

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What did you spend on this beast?

13. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

Can someone please tell me why my spreader loads up the back of my cab with salt from the chain? I have adjusted the chain but it still pours salt out the front. It sucks.

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My Downeaster does the same thing, I was told from them it's normal. After running about 6 tons through it this year I only have 2 softball size piles at the end.

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

IDK about him but I was quoted I think 7600.00 installed, I said thanks but no thanks.

16. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I got a price of just under $3700 for the little one since I posted that question. I ended up buying another poly caster.

17. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Ryan, come over to the Maine thread and give us an update!

18. Henry

Henry Member

19. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We have the Western type and absolutely love it. Best spreader I have used to date. Spread pattern is great, very quiet (except with vibrator turned on), prewet turns on and off with main power button. We have only run 30 ton or so through it but couldn't be happier. Spreader, cash and carry was 5k for 2yard. Vibrator was around $500 which you don't really need, strobes around $200 and Led work lights around $200. Shop made prewet kit around $500.