1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless steel bolts

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Buster F, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Hey guys, i'm installing a MM1 setup on a buddy of mines 01 superduty and wanted to get your thoughts on using stainless steel hardware for the install. I've installed quite a few plows over the years and have always used either grade 5 or preferably grade 8 hardware and all of them are still plowing with the original bolts in them. I recently aquired a pretty fair amount of 1/2" stainless steel bolts and would like to maybe use them for this install. My concern is that the stainless may have to high of a tensile strength and be prone to breakage - what do you guys think? Would a stainless bolt be equivelant to the grade 5 that fisher recomends? Thanks, Roy
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would not waste your time. Stainless can not handle stress shear loads like a grade 5 or 8 can.
  3. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Listen to IGTBG, SS hardware is way to soft. they stretch and will not take true torque, use the specified hardware GR 5 where called for Grade 8 as called for do not substitute.
  5. SnowMP

SnowMP Junior Member

Yeah, I agree with basher and the others. SS is pretty much for looks or marine/non-magnetic aplications (304 mainly). lol
  6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

you answered your own question when you said that prior installs that were done using grade 5 and grade 8 bolts were still running fine..... Stay away from SS for mounting hardware..

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Stainless can not handle stress shear loads like a grade 5 or 8 can, if fisher thought they would work, they would have used them.:nod:
  8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. Do not use them. Stick with the grade 8.
  9. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Well the people have spoken - grade 8 it is. Thanks guys
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

But don't buy Chinese Grade 8's!
  11. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

Bolt grades

Look at the head of the bolt. No marks means grade three I believe, and this applies to stainless as well. I have always wondered if, and where a guy can get high strength stainless bolts. I bet they'd cost a bit more though.
    I've not had any problem with the cadmium plated grade eight bolts rusting though, even up here in the salted road country. Has anyone else seen corrosion with grade eight, maybe on a sander? Ogre.
  12. younggun86

younggun86 Junior Member

specified bolts are the way to go unless your an engineer. IF one were to use stainless, it'd have to be up in the 410 range to remotely equate to grade 5. I made bolts for a living right outta highschool and almost everything that came from china was warped. we did a job where the metal literally flaked apart after cutting the threads and it wasn't a machine issue. something else is if grade 5 breaks, look at other parts before blaming it on the bolt. If it was designed for a grade 5, it needs to flex.