1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stainless salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DYNA PLOW, Aug 29, 2001.

1. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

hey guys, i have purchased a new stainless v box salter ,this will be my 1st year salting so my route will be small . i plan on using bagged salt .
    i have a few simple questions.
    will water softner rock salt work as a deicer and how well does it work? i can buy it in 60lb bags for 2.99 a bag
    can i treat that same salt with magic o as i am loading the hopper ? remember only a few of my customers want the deicing service so i am up for trying this if it works.
    if the water softner salt will not do an adequete job, can you tell me what i should be using?
    i appreciate your input,
    thanks ,
    dan

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Water Softerner Salt will work somewhat. Table Salt would work too:D . I think you have the wrong idea if you plan on loading the hopper full with bagged material. Bagged salt (at least here) is much more expensive than bulk material. Besides that most plowers here spread a mix of salt and sand for traction. Think about how much time you are going to spend lifting bags up to the v-box. I once hand shoveled mix into my v-box when my skid steer was down, it took a long time even with three guys. May be easier just to buy bulk from a local yard and have him load it in for you.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I agree most of the guys in my area with the v box buy in bulk from the local yards.Or they just load up with what they need form one run from the yards.I have a small tail gate sander and I have them deliver to me in bulk saves time and money in long run.I started with one account and now have many but doing it like that saved me money.

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

60 LBS bags generally equal about 40 per pallet, with a cost of about 175 dollars a pallet.

This pallet weighs about 2400 LBS or 1.2 tons, so you are paying about 146 dollars a ton.

Now you can buy bulk salt in the early season for around 50 dollars a ton in most places from what I am reading. Even in the middle of winter I doubt bulk prices will ever reach 146 a ton.

So 50 dollars a ton vs 146 a ton. You are almost getting 3 tons bulk for the price of 1 ton baged.

Geoff

5. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i cannot purchase bulk salt as i do not have a place to store as of yet. the highway dept. will only sell contractors sand salt mix.
    as i said i only have a few customers that will require salt until i can grow this service in my market. do i need a v box right now. no i don't but i am merely planning for the future, as i had the funds available to purchase one right now.
    will rock salt work and is it feasible to spray what i am going to spread with magic as i fill the box?
    give it to me boys... good or bad.
    thanks,
    dan

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I can get mix or straight salt from my mulch dealer all winter long. If you stay with bagged where are you going to store it? Always good to think about the future. If you are going to use bagged material then I would wait unitl you need to use it and then load it. This will keep you from having to load the hopper full of salt you may not use.

7. grassdoctor

grassdoctor Junior Member

NEWS BUDDY you purchase salt from the highway dept, there are local dealers and if you dont use all of whats in your hopper you will have to either waste it or take it out and store it somehow. #2 Dont buy a v box unless you are going to use it to its potential because by next year it will be full of rust. #3 With all the futzing around you are doing if you consider all time you will put into using the wrong eqipment for the job you will be working twice as hard to make the same amount of money.

Maybe Im wrong I just consider my time worth somthing.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

He made that post four years ago. Whatever he was going to do, he's probably already done.

9. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

good one Mick, so now there's 2 peeps that actually look at the dates of these posts. :drinkup:

10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

lol, i always wounder how a tread this old can get brought back up. :) :)