1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stainless or poly sander?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ziob34, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

in need of a new sander / salt spreader pretty soon before the season starts up am contemplating a used stainless from a friend or going out and getting the new 1.5 or possibly 1.8 yard fisher poly sander. Any recomendations???? was thinking the poly as it would be alot easier to store, move around, and maintain.......the downside is it would be over 4k instead of 2500 for the stainless. How's the durability and lasting power of these poly spreaders or are they junk after a few years.

2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i am in the same boat and i made the decision to go with the poly. many different reasons why. the two biggest reasons- no gas motor to screw with, and its a good amount lighter. only reason i wanted the stainless was bc it was cheaper (used vs new) and i think they look much better.

other things i liked about the poly is that you can remove or adjust the chute, that was huge for me since i switch it between a dump and a pickup. and you can take off the chute in no time and tow a trailer with it, cant do that with the stainless.

the next this is how you can remove the chute and to take it off just slide it out the bed until it touches the ground, and then just stand it upright and it can be stored like that, with just one or two people, whereas with the stainless you have to have a lift or a tractor. and that was huge for me since i hardly ever have a tractor around when i am unloading it. i also like how it has built on covers

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I switched to stainless a few years ago on all my sanders and would never go back to poly or steel.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

After switching from stainless to a polycaster I wouldn't run anything else.

5. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

I have all polys and never had any problems, Ziob34 I sent you a PM

6. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

pm never went through any recommendations on a certain poly brand or model? I'm leaning towards electric poly as well 1.5 or 1.8 yard capacity for f350 pick up trucks short chute. anyone have any thoughts on salt dogg or the fisher polycaster? i'm in the same boat don't always have a tractor available like how easy the polys are to load and unload.

7. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

narrowed it down to salt dogg shpe1500 or the fisher polycaster 1.5 yard......leaning towards just spending the extra on the fisher as it can handle sand salt mix well and didn't have a terrible controller problem like salt dogg did or still does.......any opinions as the 1500 is alot cheaper cost wise.

8. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

I have been looking at the SPHE 2000 or the SPHE 2250. Everything online seems pretty good. My big thing is being able to take the chute off to use my hitch. Gas is pretty much out of the question. I just haven't had any luck finding videos or additional info for removing the chute to confirm all of this. I also like the idea of an auger over a chain.

9. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

I've had a Smith stainless 3 yrd in the 1 ton for 5 yrs now. Electric motors with dual controls and have not had any problems with it. The chute folds up so u can tow when you have to. Easy to maintain and clean. The chain is just starting to stretch out on me now. I agree with you that if you want to move it between trucks then go with a poly for the weight. Because this thing is heavy and not easy to put in and out. Next one I'm buying is for one of the pick ups and it will be a poly so I can remove and store it easier when I need to. Have Boss tailgates on pick ups now but wAnt another one with some capacity to it for less loading so like I said it will be a poly one. Good luck with whatever you purchase.