1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless DXT issue

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MSS Mow, Jan 13, 2015.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Has anyone else had an issue with the pin breaking that guides the hitch pin back and forth? Thus creating a situation where nothing is preventing the hitch pin from popping out, thus basically losing your plow?

A friend lost both pins but thankfully not before discovering something wrong and limped back to the shop. I noticed the little spring on one side of mine was just dangling free, so I had my shop check it out and sure enough, one of my pins had broken, just hadn't fallen out yet. This all happened over this weekend. Well today, my dealer told me he had a third one, this time the guy actually lost one of his hitch pins and damn near lost his plow off the truck.

My dealer has been in touch with Boss without much luck yet so I'm just checking to see if anyone else has experienced something similar? This is only on the brand new models, as they changed the whole hitch pin setup/handle, etc. on the new models. I have a stainless DXT from last year that has presented no issues but it has the old style setup.

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I have 2 of the new style which is basically the old style minus different handles. I don't really know how you could loose a pin unless it wasn't spring shut in the first place or somebody flipped the handle and came loose when tension is off of it. The one side has a latch so even if the sprING breaks 8t should stay in.

Anyways I'll keep an eye on mine, but don't see how it would happen.

3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

It is possible, because it happened today. That's why I'm asking if others have had the same issue. If I know of three brand new plows with the exact same issue, especially with something that has a design change, then likely there are others.

4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow! BOSS better get a handle on that in a hurry. That just screams lawsuit when some guy losses his blade while running down the highway between accounts.

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah it's not too comforting running down the road wondering if the blade is going to fall off. Disaster waiting to happen.

6. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

What's the part of the design that changed that could cause it. They changed then handle and lever by what I have noticed which the end user touches. It still slides and latches the same.

I can see two senerios.

One a assembly error which is possible from the factory but you would think since its basic design is from 2002 it would of shown up before.

Two somebody moved the levers to the unlock position while it was parked somewhere and it unlatched by the springs when the tension let up over a bump, etc. A kid or somebody pissed off could be causing the issue.

Any chance have you seen it first hand and know if the lever was in the lock or unlock position?

My point of owning two of them with the new style is I have not noticed anything different from my older plows.

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

yes I have seen two of the three myself. One was my own plow. The small pin is machined differently. It now has a block end which we believe is preventing it from moving at all. With all the typical vibration it's causing them to snap thus falling out. Which of course would then allow the main pin to fall out eventually.

8. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I was unhooking my new dxt after our last snow storm here and I noticed one of the springs on the passenger side of the truck was just dangling there. I did have a little trouble hooking it up since that pin didn't want to pop in right away. I looked under the hitch and noticed the other spring was a wrapped around the pin assembly. I think I need to go out to the shop and take a closer look at what's going on. Good stuff here guys thanks for the heads up. Happy plowing fellas

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Keep me posted on what you find. I'm betting that small pin is broken.

10. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

Well the end of the hook pulled out on the spring, I took that little pin out and bent the spring back as good as new. The pin was not damaged at all, i will check it routinely though.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Hey guys how about some pictures, thx

12. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

I would like to see some pics as well, to get a visual of exactly where the pin is breaking... I'm a bit confused.

13. burtle

burtle Member
    from USA

I'd like to see some pictures as well.

I was thinking about buying a Boss snow plow until I came across this thread.

14. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I wouldn't let this stop you from buying one. They're a great plow and they will handle whatever it is thay is causing that

15. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have had this happen allot.... I have a RT3 Vee... Right now the driver side is missing.... I've resorted to taking a bungee cord and hooking both handles together so that the pin won't back out...

16. Koehler59

Koehler59 Junior Member
    from 60468

I've been having problems latching and unhooking the passenger side latch on my new dxt. Looked under there and the small pin with the block end was bent, forcing you to get out a mallet and hit the big pin out to unlatch and via versa to hookup. If that small pin where to pop outta there it would loose your springs and eventually the big pin.

17. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Sorry it took so long to grab a photo but here is the small pin that breaks that I was talking about.

bosspin.jpg

18. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I had this happen on the passanger side of my DXT. My son saw it when he went to put the plow on the truck. I now have an extra set of springs just in case.

19. sledneck24x

sledneck24x Senior Member

Happened a couple weeks ago to one of my brand new vxt. Went to unhook thought it was jammed up ended up with the whole pin in my hand. Our local dealer told us to throw a bungee cord across the two pins to prevent from losing the whole pin while plowing. He has had a couple other contractors in with the same problem. And most of them lost the pin completely. So I would recommend putting a couple bungees on for now til it is resolved. Mine hasn't broken since either.

20. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I posted on the Boss Owners forum about the problem, and was referred to the service number.