1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless Drag Chains

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ColumbiaLand, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

So as it says, Who is making stainless drag chains? Some must or a new market is going to open up?

2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I've personally never looked for ss drag chains, but I do use a salt water duty #40 drive chain for the motor on my elec spreader. I went from replacing every year to every 5 years.

3. ColumbiaLand

Someone has to make one?

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never seen one listed in all my searches. Everything on my stainless spreader is stainless except the parts that normally wear, Drag chain, sprockets and shafts?

5. ColumbiaLand

Thought I had heard of someone making them. Any insight here?

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Friend of mine had a V box that had a SS chain in it But his Vbox was a Lime/Fertilizer spreader a slide in unit Thats only one I ever seen I look when I replace mine

7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

With most if not all v box drag chains costing $300+ what would a S/S version cost and would it actually be worth it?

8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

It would be very cool to have, but I have a feeling it would be an outrageous price tag to have such a thing. I'm sure they exist, for fertilizer application equipment. However factory farms buying that equipment don't have the same budgets that average snow removal contractors do.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

^^^ I agree. I always thought it would be a great idea. My Airflow has stainless sprockets and chains, but the spinner shaft, conveyor shafts, conveyor, etc are not. I actually burned up a controller before this season due to a frozen section of conveyor chain. I do think a $1k one would be worth it.......any more than that, probably not.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

http://www.bbispreaders.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=41MC^Stainless-Steel-Mesh-Chain---and-Parts&tab=option

Here where you make your own But you looking at twice the price but last a life time
    You might have to change spockets