1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless bolt kit

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by burlingtonplow, Jan 30, 2010.

1. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

Does anyone know where stainless bolt kits for cutting edges are sold? The ones that came with my poly edge can't be used for the steel edge. The ones I got from Madigan's rust easily so I want a bolt kit that won't rust easily.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Just use fluid film on them and make sure you use some never~seez when installing them and you'll be fine.

I just read your other thread, what your experiencing for rust is completely normal....there is no way around it. The more you use it, it will go away. Either that or start with new bolts and clean cutting and fluid them frequently, it will keep the rust at bay.

3. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I would not use stainless for a cutting edge I don't care what you are plowing

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why not?...

5. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I have never had any luck with stainless hardware it seems to gal up on me all the time I don't understand why not just run the cutting edge bolts

6. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

Hi. What I was trying to do is keep my cutting edge on my blade for a few years. After one year the bolts on there now already rusted a lot so I don't want to keep maintaining them. If I could just put on some stainless ones and keep them there and not worry about rust I'd be happy versus having to deal with some severely rusted bolts down the road. I see that they do sell bolts online that are stainless for about 1.40 per bolt and the fisher dealer wanted $25 for a galvanized bolt kit. I know this whole discussion is small potatoes so thanks anyway for the tip on rust remover, etc

7. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

paint them. i paint my cutting edge and bolts with rustoleum satin black usually will last for most of the season, if not just spray them again.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

stainless is a much weaker metal. basicly like using grd 2 bolts.

cutting edge you want grd 5 or grd 8 bolts.

you would pop those stainless ones in 1 hit prob .

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Stainless to stainless will gal. Use stainless bolts and regular nuts wont gal. The stainless threads stay clean the nuts will come off of stainless threads.

10. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

I noticed that the bolts on the plow now with poly edge are stainless. Based on what your saying this may be ok because the cutting edge only weighs 15 pounds and even if stainless is weaker it can deal with that low weight. The steel edge weights 80 lbs.. I'm going to put the galvanized bolts on the steel edge now. Actually I'm going to pay someone 20 bucks to do it for me since my hands are destroyed. Thanks

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Its not the weight of the cutting edge, its the force against it. The poly is forgiving, steel rigid.

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Hay crask935

Can I barrow
    "Check the parts store again, and they Still don't make parts to fix stupid!!! "

13. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Oh Okay, we will work out the royalty fees later!