1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainless 2 yard Buyers spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by skysthelimit, Nov 6, 2007.

1. skysthelimit

skysthelimit Junior Member

Hi,
    I am looking to get some info or opinions, regarding storing sand / salt mix in my spreader. Is it a bad idea to leave covered mix in the spreader for upcomming storms or extra unused product in, until the next storm ?
    Thanks in advance.

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i would'nt store it in there especialy sand/mix but you can if you have no choice, just take a rubber mallet with you and beat the heck out of the side of the salter you'll be fine.

our salt truck will haul a load of salt for 30-40 hrs before salting just for the weight and it usualy aint to hard to get out, we never tarp it but i think it might be wise

3. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I would recommend that you NEVER leave salt in your spreader, unless you absolutely have too. On two occasions I made the mistake and it was ugly. I left it overnight and there was just enough moisture to cause most of it to become a solid block of salt. I was not fun to remove. One of the times, I had a tunneling effect...the top part was solid about a foot or two down and was loose below. I use only salt, not the sand/salt mixture, but I would think that the moisture in the sand would cause problems, but I'm not positive. JMO.

4. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I have no choice but to leave in in unfortunately and have never had a problem. Just make sure the sand is dry and cover it. You may get the tunneling effect but once you knock it down it'll be fine. I just hate leaving the weight on the truck all the time and would like to washout the sander when I'm done