1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stainles vs mild steel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Mar 17, 2016.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I am going to be ordering a new Fisher Xtreme v and wondering which way to go. What are the pros and cons on the stainless vs mild steel? The only part that is stainless is the mold board. Is stainless worth the price difference?

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I have never owned one so I'm not talking from any direct experience but Ive always heard stainless is softer metal and up here I do so much plowing typically that we get some small dents in the plows which would not look pretty on a stainless. So when I had the same question I was told down the road it is often a rough looking plow.

I am all for poly and mild steel. I'm more for poly because if you catch some ice or a rock, the moldboard can be replaced. I have a nice gash I'm my plastic moldboard that would have dented up my dads mild steel board.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

IMO, unless doing ALOT of gravel etc, yes go SS. You should be able to recover the difference in price at selling time too.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I dont know who told you stainless is softer than mild steel But its just the opposite, stainless is much stiffer and harder. just try to drill a hole in one of your stainless cooking pans.

5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Stainless is harder then normal painted mold boards...

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Stainless all the way. Less things to worry about rusting and the snow doesn't stick to them as bad

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Stainless is just plain cool.

I love SS in all forms

8. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

X15 on the "stainless is harder" bandwagon. I have half a box of broken Snap On drill bits from trying to drill through my stainless V box to mount stuff after buying it. It's gone through 4 winters, has salt sit in it for a week at a time every storm and still looks like new. The ONLY reason my plow isn't stainless is because it wasn't available in stainless at the time I bought it. My next plow will only be stainless.

9. brasski

brasski Member

I just bought a mvp3 SS beginning of the season and although not a ton of snow this season the SS has held up well and still looks good so SS all the way. And by the way whether SS,mild steel or poly they can all be replaced.

10. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Well I guess whoever told me that on here was wrong on the stainless being softer....as stated I've never had personal experience. Thanks for the correction though, maybe I'll cosnider stainless one day. I still like my poly plow, and I will most likely stick to poly but maybe stainless is my second choice now

11. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I was also told by 2 different dealers that the SS was softer and scratches and dents easier. The SS looks nice if it is going to perform and last longer then the mild steel. I like the yellow color as it shows up better during the snow for safety reasons. I have only had the mild in a straight blade and want to see what the thoughts were before buy the new one. Thanks for the input.

12. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

I have a SS Fisher X Blade and a Blizzard 8611LP. I would kill to be able to have gotten the blizzard in SS. The blade portion of my X blade looks damned near brand new...and its 8 years old. Takes about 10 minutes to pull the moldboard off every so often (every year or 2), and blast/paint the heck out of the all black frame that's left. Love me some stainless.

13. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I would also go stainless. They look mean especially the xv2.
    Curious what the price difference is?
    I wonder why fisher doesnt offer a poly plow

14. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

Stainless is not a harder metal. A machinist I know calls it almost gummy when machining it. You guys used all those drill bits because stainless "work hardens" very easily. Once stainless work hardens it's almost impossible to drill. When drilling stainless you have to use a slow speed and keep it cool. Keep spraying the bit with soapy water. Or dip the bit in a cup of water frequently. Everyone goes high speed and leans on it. This dulls the bit and hardens the stainless.

15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

According to rockwell hardnesshttp://www.azahner.com/resources_metal_hardness.cfm Stainless is over 30% harder than cold rolled (mild) steel.

[​IMG]

16. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

it cuts great with my plasma!! Thumbs Up

17. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

I bet it does! I wish I had one but I'm too cheap LOL

18. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I am a licensed machinest and have machined nearly every available material known! As the Rockwell chart showed stainless is one of the hardest!! Not gummy!! Titanium is gummy!! I think you misunderstood your friend.. you are correct about burning drill bits tho... people think to just pull the trigger and push! However it's the complete opposite in fact, if you increase speed you in turn need to increase feed! Which we can't match with human strength!! So slow RPM'S (speed) is how to use are at home drills.. for example: when I was machining Boeing and airbus landing gear for almost 20 yrs. A 1/2 inch carbide insert drill at 780 rpm cutting 4140 steel harden to 56 Rockwell would require 4 inch per minute feed rate.