1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Staight Push

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jsydow, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jsydow

jsydow Junior Member

I got asked to bid on a apartment complex today with 300 foot drives. These have to be pushed straight ahead. There is no place to push it to the sides. Garages on one side & parking on the other side. Does anyone have any accounts like this? If so what has been your experience pushing them? Do you think I can handle it with a 8'2 Boss v-plow & a 8'2 straight polar. All my other accounts of this size I have been able to push most of it to one side or the other never straight ahead. :help:

2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I have no idea how much snow you get in one storm. If you got a heavy, wet, deep dump pushing it 300 ft could take a little time but with a V I would think it could be done. You might need to make a pass with the blade in the V position then start pushing a little bite at a time in the carry position. I have plowed a church parking lot a few times with my straight blade where the snow all has to be pushed to one end of the lot. Depending on how deep the snow is I just take a half a pass or so at a time, back and forth until it is done. Just be sure to take the extra time into account when bidding the job.

3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Is there any place to stack the snow you have to push out of the drives??
    This may be done best with a tractor mounted blower.
    This kinda sounds like a nightmare to me.
    Mark K

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with this one, if there is no place to push the snow to at the sides that this sounds like a job for a serious tractor mounted blower. Besides, 300 feet of driveway snow could make a very unmanagable pile in snowy winter. Why do they want it that way???

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a couple of apartments just like that.U shaped complex with about 450 ft on 2 sides and 250 ft on end. We use a Boss 9.2 V and a Blizzard 810. Its no problem to do them. We get $350 per plowing, and takes us less than 1.5 hrs.

6. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Tractor mounted blower is the way to go, I agree.

7. jsydow

jsydow Junior Member

Lost it!

I didn't get it. My competition convinced them that it could only be done with A loader! This has not been a very good year for me. I have never had an account that I couldn't push! I even had a loader lined up if I needed it. This is not the first time this guy has done this! He gives them a low price then raises it after he clears the snow! Then the low ballers keep taking my accounts at $40 an hour. Then since they don't do sidewalks I am asked if I will do the sidewalks! I tell them I am not going to do that if I am not pushing the snow! I don't know what to do? They are going to put me out of business is what they are going to do!!!!

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

A V plow will handle it just fine. :nod: Just try not to let it get too deep.

9. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It really stinks sometimes. Just try buckle down and "weather the storm" because it they are too low on bid they may not last because of lack of profit and keep a eye on it to if the "flub" the job up too.