1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stadard or automatic hold up better?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Anthony259, May 16, 2015.

1. Anthony259

Anthony259 Junior Member

I would like to get some opinions about what transmission would hold up better plowing and towing with a jeep 6 cyl. I prefer to plow with a standard, it would only be my driveway 300 ft and my small commercial lot 10 cars.
    Towing would be a trailer under 2800 lbs with electric brakes.

How would towing that weight be with a standard? I have not towed anything that heavy with a standard in the past

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ummmm depends on how well you drive a standard. I plow for a living... I hate autos, I replace my clutch every 75K miles weather it needs it or not (I run a business I cant afford to have a clutch quit in the middle of a storm). The one auto I have needs a tranny after 5 years of plowing looking at $2K to rebuild it. I can replace the clutch for $600.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You haven't considered the CVT transmission with a center locking differential, have you?
  4. Anthony259

Anthony259 Junior Member

No I have not I will find out more information about that
    Thank you
  5. Anthony259

Anthony259 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply and info plowmeister
  6. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Discussing this is like asking if you should use synthetic or dino oil, everyone has an opinion.

My experience:
    Doing only a few driveways at first I plowed with a manual YJ 4.0L with thee t-case in 4HI, tried 4LO but reversing was too slow. The biggest problem was the clutch chattering when hot (yes, driver "error", learn how to drive, bla, bla, bla).

For the past 6 years I have been using an automatic XJ Cherokee to plow (with big transmission cooler and temp gauge). So much better IMO.

If doing long driveways/roads a manual may be fine, but lots of forward-reverse in 4HI got the clutch hot.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Well you answered you own question, you cant drive a clutch... why are you asking?