1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stacking

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by PhatSupraTT, Feb 15, 2008.

1. PhatSupraTT

PhatSupraTT Member

I have a pretty basic question about stacking and the strength of my 22 series.

When stacking, do I need to worry about putting too much "up pressure" on plow components? Meaning, I lift the plow and push the snow up but it also rides up the previously made banks creating a seemingly lot of pressure. By no means do I hit banks fast or hard but it seems like there is a lot of pressure on it and I don't know how far to push it.

How high should the 22 series stack? Do I need to worry about breaking things if I try stacking too high?

Thanks
    Mark

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Will the 22 series stack as high as our commercial plows, no. It is designed to be fitted to a non commercial class of vehicle. Years of happy customers tell us that it is a good little plow.

We utilize high strength steels and robotic welding in all it's components just like it's bigger brothers. It is also covered with the same 5 year structural warranty against manufacturing defects as our commercial lines.

If you properly use your equipment it should serve you well for many seasons. If you push the envelope so to speak and walk on the line of abuse you can expect failures to happen.

3. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I use my 22 to stack about 6-8 feet high. I have some pics of that somewhere. It is on a Ranger and clearly stacks higher than that. Am I pushing the envelope as Tom says...definitely. Just my .02

4. PhatSupraTT

PhatSupraTT Member

Since this is my first year plowing, I don't know where the envelope is much less how far to push it!

Pearclawn: Post those bad boys up, I'd like to see them.

5. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

be careful "stacking" you can wear out the lift cylinder and it could cause your plow to slowly drop when it is in the raised position

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've seen 24/25 and MT/HT series with bent lift ram mounts on the rear of the A-frame from guys stacking to high. But then I've seen some big piles. :D

your plow and truck are tools, how you use those tools depends on how well they hold up.

7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

but theres a diffrence from use and abuse is just a fine line

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Be very careful stacking. There is a hole in the bottom plate. The hose for the up and down cylinder is right by the hole. A chunk of ice or too much snow through that hole and you will cut the hose. I know from experience. I have piles higher then my F-250 now and keep stacking on top of those piles. Will try to get pictures.
    I do have a spare hose since I know I am pushing the limits but dang these plows are tough....:salute:

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Vees stack incredibly high guys complain about the double hinge but they carry A LOT of snow but when you push them that hard you have to make sure to keep the bolts tight and watch your bushings, change them before they start to eat the bellcrank and lift links. Remember even tough guys need love:cool:

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You don't even have to disconnect the hose to get the garden hose on for protection. Just slit the hose and wire tie it on. Yeah I carry extra parts. On my route I am never more then a few miles from my shop in case of a break down anyway. I need to check the bushings and bellcrank and re-check all the bolts again too. After 60+ hours in less then 2 weeks plowing it is time.