1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stacking

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Phantom Phil, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Phantom Phil

Phantom Phil Junior Member
    from N.H.

Is there a method to stacking snow? I see some piles that I think must be done with a loader they're so high but I know they were done with a pick-up with a plow. What am I missing?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Years of practice :nod: and getting hung up a few times! :realmad:

3. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

Lift the blade up as you come to where you want to stack and stay on the gass.

4. grandview

Stacking depends on what kind of snow too.If it's light and fluffy very easy to do . It's the wet stuff that you will have trouble with.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!

where in N.H. are you from?

6. Phantom Phil

Phantom Phil Junior Member
    from N.H.

Auburn

I live in Auburn

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

High piles start with a good base. If the bottom and all layers are not pushed in tight then the best you can do is wide and sloppy.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

im from nashua!

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

9' piles start with a load of something else:D .

(For those who have been around awhile.)

10. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

LOL........Good one Mick!

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OH, the memories, Mick. How about plowing driveways with a Kenworth? 12' Flink on a Hummer?

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That;s how I do it. It is kind of like building a ramp. Then when your all done stacking, just push the excess right into the pile. Just don't get stuck. That is the tricky part.

13. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Phantom...your stacking ability is the height limit of the plow, meaning the upward angle the plow will raise up. Sometimes you can get a bit higher when the snow sticks and you can push it up and over a bit.

14. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Hit the gas, close your eyes and pray your plow doesnt get hung up on the pile when you put it in reverse.:dizzy: :yow!:

15. southsideone

southsideone Member

for those who have gotten hung up, how did ya get out...someone else pull you out, or are there some other creative means as to getting undone?

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Got my backup truck and pulled the first one out. It was in my own driveway.

17. grandview

If you get stuck the first thing you do is swear a lot then get the shovel out and dig.:nod:

18. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Get a jerk strap or a shovel.

19. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Usually a shovel and a little sand from my ballast works well. I have never got stuck while plowing, but have been stick in snow before. A come-a-long can be handy as well. Then there is always the tractor!wesport

20. schuitb

schuitb Member

Hung Up.

I got hung up my first year plowing.. tymusic I find that the easiest way to get hung up is if your stacking snow on top of an existing snow pile that has frozen solid. first time i spent 20 mins shoveling and barely got off the *#$&ing thing...wesport . The second time i realized i still had a plow on the truck and used the angle hydraulics to push me back wards while in reverse.. It worked right away... I hope that helps and you raise a glass of the finest Canadian beer after a good nights plowing:drinkup: cheers!