1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stacking with Meyer Super V

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by SkiJohnnyB, Dec 2, 2011.

1. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

Just put on a Meyer Super V LD 7.5 this fall. In hooking it up to move it to its winter place in the garage last night I noticed that its max raised height is significantly lower than my Western was. The Meyer stops allow it to raise about 1.5ft from bottom of blade to ground at the most...seems like my Western raised much further for stacking.

Also, there is a big warning on the Meyer about not stacking in float mode????

Comments on either/both of these???

2. jkski

jkski Member

I've got the Super V2 8.5' and did not see any warning label regarding stacking but I can't see where it would matter if you are in float mode or not as the plow is going up the pile not down and you are typically raising the plow as you are driving into the pile, so float mode is automatically turned off as soon as you hit the up button.

That being said, I have not had an issue but have not used this plow enough yet to see where the problem might occur.

Not sure if this helps but after a few snowfalls I may be able to comment further...we are still waiting on our first plowable event.

3. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

The LD is what it is

LD (Light Duty) only for 1/2 ton trucks only.....I was told that Meyer voided warranty if put on anything bigger than a 1/2 ton.
    So maybe thats why it's not made for stacking....not sure though.
    Please ck back and let me know how this plow works.

4. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

To clarify, the don't stack in float mode warning was in the manual. Pretty interesting statement I will dig up and post

5. jkski

jkski Member

I will admit, I have never looked at my manual so maybe I should! I will see if I can find it and let you know if it says the same.

6. jkski

jkski Member

Well, I just looked through my manual and it says the same thing, I would imagine all Meyer manuals say this regardless of the plow you are using. The statement is that you should avoid stacking while the plow is in the down or float mode or angled so to avoid the possible damage that can be caused.

What they are referring to is that they do not want you to simply let the plow ride up the pile on it's own without using the lift of the hyraulics to assist and guide the plow up. A lot of guys will simply push into the pile hard causing the plow to rise on its own as it climbs the pile and when you push into the pile that hard you can bend or break things. If instead you are using the hyrdo's to assist and lift the snow while driving into the pile, the chance for bending and breaking tends to lessen. The other part of that statement is regarding squaring up the plow to the pile when stacking, in other words not going in fully angled. Again, this is simply to avoid twisting and overloading a corner of the plow while you are pushing into a now stationary pile that has no give. If your plow is striaght while pushing into a pile, the entire plow is subject to equal force...for the most part, but if angled one corner will always rise higher and twist a bit.
    In the end, the damage they are referring to is caused by the force that the truck puts to the plow which is now hitting a pile that does not move. Take it easy when stacking and use your hydro's and you will be fine.
    Hope this helps.

As far as your lift height goes, the plow will raise higher when it goes into and rides up the pile, especially if the pile is not straight up and down giving your truck a bit up a ramp to go up along with the plow. Always be carefull as it is easy to get hung up on a pile while stacking by driving your truck in to deep in a pile that is gradual.

7. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

Gotta say I have always tried to keep it straight while stacking but tend to stack in float more often than not

8. jkski

jkski Member

FWIW I am sure most of have done or do it on a regular basis without even thinking. I can see why they put that statement in their manual especially when you consider the pile that becomes a frozen rock with no give to it.....the plow does not typically like to float up these types of piles.

Again, hope this helped and have fun with the V plow!