1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stacking Stop

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jhenegh, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

How critical is having the stacking stop? I just flipped my plates from Position 2 to 3 because 2 was a bit too high at the truck end and was making my cutting edge into a smiley face shape :mechanic:

Installation instructions say to install the stacking stop in positions 3 & 4. Looks like that 6lb chunk of steel fetches $75 from Western

http://www.westernpartstore.com/pages/CustomCatalog/Product/1352039

I'll probably just make one from some 2"x2" square stock I already have, but I'm just curious to know how critical the darn think is in the first place.

Happy New Year!

Thanks

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Not sure if it will apply my dads truck is a 02 f350 with an ultramount pro and we took the stacking stop off and haven't had any issues.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have never tried leaving them off when they are required. First problem will be that your plow headlights will be blocked by the blade when it's up. Next the plow will bounce a lot because if the plow doesn't hit it's max elevation the chain will b loose. Other issues may be your blade getting imbedded into big piles when u stack.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You're fine. You can take them off without issue.

5. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

Ok thanks everybody.

With the plow all the way up it doesn't block the lights. It never hit a hard stop in the previous configuration and didn't bounce much then. What do you do to get a 800lb blade slamming and bouncing? We'll see on the stacking! It's snowing here in IN right now...

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

At least on my dads ultra mount the blade doesn't hit anything. The a frame still hits the light tower where the stops would hit it and doesn't seem to interfere with anything. He has been using it like this for about 7 years.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That is what it should hit when there r no stacking stops installed. I have never seen any Western plow hit the hydro unit on any model with or without stacking stops. That photo of the Meyer plow is irrelevant as Westerns r very different in design.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What he said, Apples and oranges.

10. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

Our stops removed on one of our ultra mounts for 8 years of commercial plowing... No problems here !

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

With stops on you wont be able stack very high

My first western Ultra mount I bought came with them and after first job I took them off that was back 10 + yrs ago
    If plow blocks the lights then you need adjust the chains

12. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

Ok here is a pic stacking from some dark hour this morning.

Like someone said, the A frame will hit the light tower where the stop is designed to hit before anything else contacts that isn't supposed to.

I can tell my A frame is lower as I can now see it dig into piles as before it wouldn't hardly do that :( Also can catch tall curbs, especially when lifting and compressing truck suspension. (the F250 has a Dana 60 under if with the correct F350 springs fwiw...)

BUT, is IS in spec with every number I could find in the install instructions, and scrapes nice and clean in all angle configurations again.

Can't win 'em all :nono:

I'll take a clean job.

IMG_20140103_011139_576.jpg