1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stacking snow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Eliw, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Eliw

Eliw Member

stacking snow. finally got some pics of me stacking snow with my boss RTII. my bankings are about 7-8feet high. can anyone beat that?

resixed plowing 002.jpg

resized plowing 001.jpg

resized plowing 003.jpg

resized plowing 006.jpg

resized plowing 008.jpg
  2. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

looks good but I know I have one lot where my snow is higher!:nod: gotta love those boss v's:drinkup:
  3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:dizzy:Keep it guys, mark my words, its gonna cost ya. Read some of the posts elsewhere,
  4. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

what do you mean??
  5. augerandblade

A truck or a plow is not designed to stack snow, you can end up with a busted plow, harness problems,stuck truck ,its tough on the drivetrain. Ever since we stopped stacking and pushing snow into banks and leaving it for a tractor snowblower combo to remove we have not had any of the above problems.I m just putting my .02 cents in for what its worth, so when someone in their first season of plowing reads above and following posts they can make their own mind up just how much of a "cowboy" they wanna be!!!!!!!!!!!:salute:
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

A good driver (me lol) can stack snow 10 feet high and not break anything and not get stuck. I'll try to remember to take some pictures but it is usually dark when I am plowing. You don't have to beat on the truck or plow to stack it you know what you are doing. A little momentum and you can slide that stuff nicely right up the pile.
  7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Oh, and thanks for the pics and I like your truck and backrack.
  8. Eliw

Eliw Member

Haven’t gotten stuck yet this year. Just need to know when to pick the plow up and when to stop pressing the gas. It doesn’t take much effort to push the snow up how could it be hard on your drive train? I would think pushing snow in to the side of a solid banking over and over again with a sudden stop would be hard only your truck. How do your customers like having to pay for extra equipment charge for a bucket loader?

Thanks for the compliment. Got the front rack off craigslist for $50 (the guy was a dumb ass) the steel it was made of is worth more then that. The one near the tailgate I made.
  9. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I dont believe stacking snow when done correctly does any harm to your vehicle. Now the "cowboys" lol that like to go out and ram frozen snowbanks.........well thats a different story. like JDiepstra said a good driver can stack snow in excess of 10 feet without doing any harm. I can now finally stack snow almost that high with my straight blade but that only because of the wings.
  10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. I think that ramming into a solid pile is hard on your truck. As long as the snow is soft enough, I don't see any harm in stacking it. If you don't, you would run out of room way to quick. But at the same time, you gotta take it easy, and not gun it or anything. That's when it becomes hard on stuff.
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You need to find better drivers or something. I've made piles 8-10ft tall and that's with a 1/2ton and a straight blade with wings. I never got stuck, I never rammed anything to get it that high. It's all about timing and momentum. It takes a little bit of practice to get it right but once you do it's easy. Pick the blade up slowly as you coast towards the pile and things should work out pretty well.

Wing's are a great thing arn't they BMW? :nod:

As I stated above and these two gentlemen also commented, it can be done quite well with a truck and blade while causing no damage or excess wear on parts. If you commonly have drivers come back with broken plows or trucks from stacking then they do not know what they were doing.
  12. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Oh yes, def! I doubt I will buy another straight blade ever but I must say the Boss wings on my plow made a huge difference. It was amazing to actually be able to move snow with a straight blade and not just push it around. Cant wait to try wings on my V next winter. everyone else on here that does them really seems to like them! I think its alaska boss if im not mistaken that took a buch of pics of his. It looks huge but I think thats a good thing :D
  13. augerandblade

I read all the above posts, sorry to stir up the "hive"
  14. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

About 10-12 feet.
  15. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I think everyone understands what your saying. And there is truth to it.
  16. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

But dont worry your absolutely rigth. too many guys bust up their s**t because they think in order to stack higher you must go faster :dizzy::dizzy: but I bet they learn quick:D
  17. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

right* sorry, I just wanted to correct it before someone thought I was a bad spweller lol
  18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

agreed. Id still consider myself a newB at the whole plowing service, but anything nearly that big is left for the machines lol. What happens when the plow goes so damn high that it is maxed out? lifts the front of the truck by the plow mount? ouch.

Even before getting my new tractor, i'd use my little 48" bucket and move it somehwere out of the way if there was that much snow. I wouldnt ever let or suggest to any of our drivers to do that. Looks cool im sure but id rather not break something.

Some stacking pics with V plows almost look fake its such an awkward position.
  19. augerandblade

Now that is a thinking mans stacking, seems to be more of a ramp built up to the end of the pile!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::cool:
  20. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Although not a pic, the pile this guy is filming on is atleast 10 if not 11 ft tall, and I still filled his boots with snow at the end lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5ij1tj3NKqg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5ij1tj3NKqg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>