1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stacking Snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Rock, Oct 19, 2003.

1. The Rock

The Rock Junior Member
    from maine

Hows it done with a 8' or 9' blade? I'm starting to plow more and don't know how its done!!:help:
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With a full blade of snow, lift the plow as you go into a snow bank. The snow will push up in front of blade and stack as you lift. Hard to do with heavy wet snow, or frozen snow banks. 4-6' is about as high as you can go with a straight blade. If the snow packs in real tight, sometimes you can climb the ramp as you stack, but be carefull if those front wheels drop, you can be stuck very easily. Aslo dont let the snow fall over the back of the plow as you stack, that is why steady even power , and not a bansia run is recommended when stacking. If the snow drops over the back side, almost a guarunteed stuck coming up.
    V plows stack very well, I have gotten piles 8-10' high with my v's

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have gotten piles 8-10' high with my v's

that would be an average of 9 FOOT PILES

wouldn't it Dino ?
  4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I call it "riding the pile" As Dino said lift the plow as you are making contact with the pile and let the plow ride right up and stack the pile.

5. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

That was funny Tom.:D
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

After seeing the Blizzard I think the V's will be outstacked. I have totally changed my opinion of them.
  7. plowking35

from SE CT

Yeah but his 9'piles were not made of snow. They were b
    BS bull snow

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if your stacking have a tow strap incase you get stuck

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agreed with the above about getting stuck. I can stack 4' - 6' with the 1/2 ton and 7 1/2', but the 3500 with the diesel and 9' plow will sink into the same pile every time. The blade comes down into the pile and I'll need towed out. Now, I simply don't stack with the one ton. Never lift the plow till I'm ready to back up.
  10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

So a half ton truck is better at something than a one ton? ;) Thats good to know. About the stacking, I try not to do it too often, unless the room is needed. Getting stuck is absolutely no fun, especially out plowing alone somewhere. Mike :)
  11. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Just buy a loader and ya wont have to worry about stacking :) and buy me one too while your at it hehehe j/k nah just do it carefully and try not to get stuck. and carry a tow strap incase ya do.
  12. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I stack most of what I plow, and if you have enough snow in the blade you should be able to time it so you barely have to use the brake when you stop. Once you lift a little it should ride the pile:D
  13. plowking35

from SE CT

It all depends on the type of snow. I use to try and stack all the snow, relocate piles, and move frozen banks. Now I realize that I can get payed extra for those services. Now if it is a big storm with nice powder, I will stack that stuff as I plow.