1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stacking snow piles on site/ Hauling snow offsite

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by daveslawns, Feb 11, 2015.

1. daveslawns

daveslawns Member
    from Niagara

Ive had a few sites that question my hourly price for stacking snow on site and how long its taking. I rather haul the snow away but theres alot of room to relocate snow on site, and there already questioning me about just a machine rather then a machine n dumper.
    All my contracts state my hourly price if stacking or relocating is required so there is no suprises but still they are questioning me anyways.

we have a 4 hour minimum and our sites r local so floating is not necessary but if we have to travel there is a float charge.
    skid steer - $100hr
    loader - $150 - $200hr

am I way out to lunch or are they just being cheap?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What size of loader is that? Your rates seem fine. We have a 3 hour minimum and since we drive our equipment everywhere the clock starts when we leave and ends when we get back. Personally I think it's crazy to haul off site if you can relocate onsite. I'd also rather just give a flat rate price and get that ok'd that way if I finish it in way less time it's to my benefit. I don't really like working by the hour if I don't have to.

3. daveslawns

daveslawns Member
    from Niagara

Jd 244
    Im all for setting a flat rate for onsite stacking, they wanted it broken down to see there options, and they agreed n signed off but still the complaining is getting annoying.

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think you're out of line, but for a 244J I'd be closer to the 150 than the 200 rate.

5. daveslawns

daveslawns Member
    from Niagara

Thanks for the input,much appreciated. I know i wasnt out in left field but i second guessed myself . $200 is for a new customer that is just calling for snow removal, im busy enough n would much rather grab some zzs then working for a penny pincher

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Seems reasonable to me, likley the only reason they're calling you is because they think the current guy is too high.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, other than the flat rate. I've never tried it before, so I would doubt my estimating abilities.

They're nuts if they think hauling is cheaper than stacking.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Flat rate usually works in your favour and you can work at the speed your use to. I also find In general that stacking or relocating always takes less time. The customer also likes knowing this will cost $400 vs this should be this much but it all depends on hours. It's like getting a quote to paint your house.

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I hate that we do our hauling and stacking on an hourly basis, all I want to do is get it done super fast since I just want to get home and get to bed.