1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stacking snow on storm drains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Mar 7, 2011.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

So I was wondering what everyone does about storm drains. I myself, don't stack snow on them. I wish I could say the same for everyone. Just got in from the sleet and rain storm. I went to one of my accounts to check on it and the base of the road in had a river across it. The road in to this facility has a driveway that comes off it to a residence. This guy plows it himself and I do the road in. He pushes all his snow out and across. There is a storm drain right where he pushes it. So not wanting to deal with the river when it changes to snow...5-10" predicted, using my plow and a shovel I stand in the water and clear the drain. Much better now. I'll say DOT has an issue here because the road is flooded over as well. My question is if everyone is as careful as I am and if you mark these somehow. I mark all my drains with a stake that's painted different from the others. I obviously can't put it right on the drain but I put it off in the grass as close as possible. Sorry its so long but I'm a little mad about all this.

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i dont just asking for trouble water in the street ayyyy water in the house or building not so good

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

it will melt into the drain

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen others do this and it is annoying.

5. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

Last time I checked snow banks melt from the outside in so it will just plug the drain and hold back all the melt and other run off.

I make a point to keep all drains clear. Run off should be part of your overall plowing plan.

6. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

The guy didn't get the hint when he saw me out clearing the drain last night, he pushed all his snow there again. He must've thought I was making him an area to put snow. Going to the property manager tomorrow.

7. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Definitely want to keep them clear! But we also try to pile close to the drains to minimize run-off issues.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

have never had a problem with them blocking up

9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I like to pile close to the drains but never on top. One storm this year I had to haul my skid to 3 other sites and dig out drains that were covered with piles. I bet most times it would not cause a problem but with certian conditions they will plug the drain.
    Robert

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Stack as close as possable while not blocking. One of the few times I get out of the truck is to clear storm drains.