1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stacking snow 101

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snowzilla, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I 'm in my 2nd year of plowing. I have a Hiniker 7.5' conventional. I would like some tips on stacking snow with plow. Last year I used the strategy of slowly raising the plow as I drove into to stack. I have read some guy on Youtube telling someone not to do this but leave in float mode and let it ride up the pile.

I have never done this because I figured the blade is too heavy to ride up and it was easier on the truck to raise the plow as I drive into pile instead of ramming like a bulldozer.

If some of you let the plow ride up in float mode does the blade trip as you do this? This would be annoying I would think. :realmad:

Would like to hear any tips or suggestions from experienced plow drivers.

2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

it will ride up in float mode oce you have a pile started and as long as its not really wet so it just packs together. if the pile is frozen then it will trip sometimes if it hitsa hard spot/ but you don't need to hit the pile like a bulldozer

3. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

one thing from personal experience, make sure the plow is straight across, ive had ours hit our plow lights, it didnt bust them, but they are single pole ball mount so it could pivot out of the way...just not a good thing for it though.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

You can also get yourself stuck pretty bad if you don't have it straight, you'll be pushed sideways and if you have a lot of snow in front of you and the blade high enough you'll be shoveling for awhile!

Another thing, remember its a truck, not a loader!

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Great tips guys. Keep them coming.

Those of you that let the plow ride up into the pile.... are you doing this from momentum or using the accelerator into the pile?

6. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

both, you have to feel the truck and pile, takes practice, hit too hard or wrong snow composition and you will be hugging the steering wheel...

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

BreadofLife, Wouldn't it be easier to just use the hydraulics then to stack? or is this not as efficient.

8. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

not as efficient, another advantage of doing this with a chain lift is the chain can lift faster to catch up to the raised blade. but either way, the equipment is designed to do this, and no damage will result.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I stack the snow the same way a bulldozer stacks dirt, I make a ramp and just drive up the pile and pile it higher with each storm.

10. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

so how do you get it firm enough to drive on...?

11. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I like to go into the pile at about 15-20mph lifting the blade as fast as possible when I feel my truck slow down 13 mph, then give it hell. :D

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't stack it,how else are you going to make loader money?

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I know right! What the hell is he thinking :laughing:

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I dont "stack" per say, but when I go into a pile I raise the blade as I'm going into the pile. My V blade pushes it pretty high but I dont make much of an effort trying to stack it. Its not called "plowing" for nothing. I leave the stacking to the loaders, I cant chance breaking something.

15. theplowmeister

from MA

It packs down good and freezes between storms. I also drive a Jeep:D AND use 10.5 inch wide tires:D
    Although my helper with a F250 can drive up the piles too.
    Just dont go past the top.

16. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Good stuff guys. I sorta used Brian Young's thinking last year. I figured I'd rather wear the plow than the truck. The Plowmeister must be using really fat tires or tracks. :nod: Sounds fun though.

I couldn't find anything on "stacking" using the search feature so I started this thread. :salute:

17. theplowmeister

from MA

It packs down good and freezes between storms. I also drive a Jeep:D AND use 10.5 inch wide tires:D
    Although my helper with a F250 can drive up the piles too.

stacking snow

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Need to adjust your stacking stops

Unless you are using direct lift then "ski the stack" isn't an issue

:dizzy::dizzy::laughing: there is NO delay with direct lift. Immediate response, no "ski the stack" and getting hung up.

Snowzilla your Hiniker should stack well. you can do it like you have been or like Brian suggested.
    A few previous threads on stacking.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=9200
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=78391
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=62582
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=77482
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=73791

19. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::dizzy::eek:

completely opposite. The chain will have slack in it while in float...therefore the slack must be eliminated before the a-frame raises. No chain...No slack.

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

raise the plow and drive on the pile