1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ST (NEW this season) Loss of pressure - help

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by scottL, Dec 19, 2009.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Guys,

I have a brand new ST 7.5 with DP plow. It's been used for about 40 hours this season. It's now experiencing a problem in that it sometimes hesitates to lift and when you plow into a pile it loose pressure to hold the plows angle.

Granted they do not sell these any more - I was lucky to find a full brand new unit. Worked with out issue for a while but, now will not hold it's angle while applying pressure.

Any suggestions where to look, what I might try myself????? ( being new it's under warranty but, I won't be able to get it in for service in a timely fashion ). Maybe something I can adjust ... dunno.

THANKS!!!!

2. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

My well used ST had the same issues when I was too aggressive with it. It would stop lifting for short time when I hit a pile too hard or try to stack wet heavy snow, and it wouldn't hold the angle in heavier snow. I'm sure I was pushing it to hard, since when I took smaller bites with heavy snow, it functioned just fine. My brand new MT functions the same, but inherently will lift and push more, as everything on it is heavier duty. I can still push the MT too hard though, like with the last 4" of slush that we had here.

3. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Is it low on fluid? Original Sno-Way fluid for the ST plows is clear and is hard to see if the level is low in the reservoir. The clear fluid also makes it difficult to spot a leak.

Fran

4. scottL

Hey guys ..... Sorry I didn't re-update the post sooner. I did a bunch of Searches and found a link to a pdf basher posted. It gave me enough info to find the DP Relief, Crossover relief and the main relief.

I don't have a gauge but, was able to tweak a little just to get it to a more reliable state. Turns out the Main Relief had backed itself out ( hence the up motion lag at times ), The DP I gave 1.5 turns ( now it seems to lift the nose a tad ) and the Crossover I gave 2 full turns and she seemed great.

I'm going to still take her in to have a gauge put on to make sure she is spot on but, for now it's decent.

5. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

If you have time, could you re-post the link? Maybe my old plow needs a tuneup!

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7. scottL

Yup ... Thank Basher for all of your input and insight into the Plowsite. if there was a trophy you should be a recipient!

The manual I'm sure is part of a training program ... in another thread it was noted for every half turn it's worth 100 psi as a rule of thumb ( 2 turns did the trick for the cross over relief for us ). However, there is no substitute for a gauge and doing it right ... I'm just happy for the temporary band-aid until I can get the plow in.