1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ST for a Ranger details

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by branko1, Dec 5, 2008.

1. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Hello guys,

I will be picking up a Sno-way ST this coming Thursday and it should fit my truck (guy says that the mount will fit 98 and newer rangers and mine is a 99).
    He has put a new receiver module on it last year an the plow control unit too.
    The edge hes been flipped over last year and plowed with.
    The serial number is STD2000347
    Can I find out from the number how old the plow is? Also will I have to buy a new edge for it soon or how soon? Should I worry about some issues with the plow since the receiver module had to be changed? Should there be issues with it how much can I expect to pay for a new module?

Thanks

2. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

I have never seen a cutting you are able to flip on a snoway, so I would say you need a new edge. I changed mine to the cutting edge off a mt series so it would last longer, 6" instead of 4" tall.

3. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

The mount is good for Ranger Models 98-08. Here is a link to the manual for that mount so that you can be sure that you are getting all of the parts necessary to remount the sub-frame.

http://www.snoway.com/service/Subframes/97100803A.pdf

Sno-Way cutting edges are not center punched. So if he has flipped the cutting edge over, it will most likely need replaced very soon. It would also be a good idea to check the lower channel/cutting edge support to make sure that it has not been worn into.

I am having a check on the serial number run right now. I will post ship date if I am able to find out.

Another thing to check is that all the plow and truck side wiring were pulled.

I have attached links to manuals for the ST Series Plows.

http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner Manuals/97100727E.pdf

http://www.snoway.com/service/Parts Manuals/97100740f.pdf

http://www.snoway.com/service/Setup_Installation/97100728D.pdf

Nothing to worry about with the module/controller, it was just replaced so it is like new. A defective module/controller should not have caused any additional problems in the system.

If the plow has lights, you may need a different light harness adapter, depending upon the headlamp configuration on your truck. You will have to let us know what headlamp configuration that you have and the headlamp configuration on the take-off vehicle (HB2, 2B/2D, HB5, HB1). This is only necessary if the plow has lights and you want to hook them up.

Post back if you need further assistance. Welcome to the Sno-Way family.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take it home, flush it out, change the fluids, and di-eletric everything. Check the pivot points for wear, replace the bushings if necessary, and change the wearedge.

The proper wear edge will improve the performance dramatically, provide a better attack angle, increased down pressure and assure proper angle geometry.

Good luck and LETS SEE PICTURES WHEN IT"S DONE:D

5. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Thank you guys!

I guess I will have to read the manuals so I know what the heck you are talking about :).

If you can give me a ball park figure for the new cutting edge (80inch) and wearedge (I suspect they are the same thing) so I can know if I should try to push the price down or how much down.

Also would you happen to have a picture of a good lower channel/cutting edge support so I will know what to look for when I get to meet the plow.

Sorry for the silly questions but I am a real snow plow virgin;)

Branko

6. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

O.K. I finally got her home. She definitely needs a new wearedge and yes the back support has been plowed into, but nothing serious (I think).
    I am hoping to put the subframe on her tomorrow and we will see.
    I was wandering what type of wearedge to put on it. I read that the poly blade is more durable, glides better and is less loud. It is also more expensive then steel.
    Some guys are offering me a rubber blade fro good money so I was wandering what you think about that. And if rubber is O.K. what thickness should I get?
    I also read in the manual that I need a heavy duty battery (and alternator) for my truck - what exactly does it mean? My standard battery is 540 cranking amps.

Branko