1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ST 7.5 pvot pin broke

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by vtfireftr, Jan 16, 2012.

1. vtfireftr

vtfireftr Junior Member

As the title says, I broke a pivot pin on my ST 7.5.

I bought this plow last season used. It's mounted to a quick attach plate this fits on the front of my Kioti tractor.

This sucker is rusted in good. I have tried heating and beating the &*^% out if it, but no luck. I'm to the point of cutting out the pins and tubes.away from the mouldboard supports. I've located replacement parts, but was wondering what I should use for the pieces I will be cutting away from the lower "frame".

Before I do any more damage to the plow, does anyone have any quick tips or tricks for replacing thise pins?

Thanks in advacne for your help.
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Meyer has a kit that includes the tubes, pins and these special washer to make it easier to repair. Just make sure you get the pins with grease fitting and grease them regularly.
  3. vtfireftr

vtfireftr Junior Member

Thats the kit i have for replacement.

And since I own a tractor with a frond end loader and backhoe, I'm no stranger to a grease gun.
  4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I just replaced one on mine during the last storm,you have to remove the springs from the moldboard and slide the A frame out, but first remove the plow from the truck and flip it up so the A frame is staight up in the air ,cut out what's left of the old tube and weld the new one on. Make sure you measure the A frame so you put the new tube at the right distance to reinstall the A frame, then slide the new pin in, grease it up good, it sounds easy as I'm typing but it took me and a friend about 2 hours to do . Ask more questions if you need to good luck
  5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

air chisel and hammer them out if the dont work drill the pin and air hammer it again
  6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

in the last 3 times i have done them i have ended up just cutting the tubes and stops off the sector and replacing. if you have one stuck in the blade i just slice the back with a cut off wheel and then hammer it out and then grind the inside and then weld the slice back up.
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

smith bros has some awesome vedios on their sit showing how to replace both sides...it helped me...one of thier suggestions is to cut the pins with a recip saw to get it into 2 pieces to work on....I had one of mine cherry red a couple of time on the plow before i could drive the piece out....the a frame side were both replaced
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  8. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Heating to cherry red is the key to even think about getting them out. I actually prefer the solid pins because I think they are stronger. I have had them break right at the hole where the grease comes out. I usually just take them out pre-season and glob them up with anti- seize.
  9. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

I cut them with a sawzall to get the plow off of the sector, then heat the tube cherry red and beat the snot out of the rusted pin till it comes out. It usually does.

Be liberal in your use of bearing grease. I coat EVERYTHING that moves with the stuff.
  10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

First step like they said cut the pins to remove the aframe use a grinder with a cutting wheel. Then what i did was drill a hole in the tube's to be used latter for a grease fittings heat the tubes and apply Kroil oil or pb blaster for a few days. Then heat cherry red and beat like heck. Some tips you might need to drill out some of the pins and use a dent to slam the pins out heat and cool heat and cool spray. Eazy fix just cut out the tube and replace it with the kit.
  11. vtfireftr

vtfireftr Junior Member

Took the plow to local welder. It took LOTS of heat to cut the tubes and pins off the plow and sector.

No way the pins were comng out without a cutting torch. They were both seized up solid.

Now that the plow is fixed, we probbaly won't get any more snow this season.

Thanks for all you advice.
  12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Sometimes thats the best option 100bucks a side and its better then new
  13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if he replaced the tubes i hope he used oem spec at least sch 80
  14. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

Naw man, aluminized muffler pipe! :laughing: