1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SS X-Blade owners

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rtm038, Jan 20, 2005.

1. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Hello all,
    I have (2) questions regarding the SS X-Blade:

1. Is your plow exceptionally noisy when plowing? (more than a traditional blade with the moldboard sheet welded to the framing).

2. How much of a gap do you have between the backside of the moldboard and the bracing?

Thanks
    Ryan

2. George C

George C Senior Member

I notice no extra noise at all.

The distance can be tight, or up to 1/16" depending on the area.
    I think the board fits exceptionally well.
    It's without question the best scraping plow I have ever owned.

3. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Yeah - what he said :)

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

another different ??

Better scraping than...
    What are your previous plow blades? I am curious if they scrape better than a normal Fisher with a cutting edge.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

X blades generally do scrape better mainly because of the angle at which the cutting edge meets the pavement.

6. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

No extra noise on mine, it is probably just that it is scraping better than you are used to. The attack angle is steep and they scrape excellent.

As far as the gap it seems to fit very well a slight gap about enough to get a sheet of paper in is about it. I am very impressed with my X Blade, have run Fishers for over 20 years and the X Blade is without a doubt the best Fisher plow made to date. The best of the best.

7. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks everyone for the responses. I bought a used 8' X-Blade and noticed that the gap on mine was about 1/4" in some places. The gap on my friends, which he bought last year, is more like you've all described. I think the excessive gap was causing the plow to be really loud when I used it last night. So, I did some investigating and determined the majority of the noise was coming from the stainless steel sheet. I figured a way to tighten the fit between the sheet and bracing and the noise has been cut in half. Maybe the sheet was cut to small (height wise), leaving the extra large gap, which allowed for more vibrations.

Thanks again
    Ryan