1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SS vs Steel vs Poly

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Phil1747, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Phil1747

Phil1747 Member

What kind of plow do you have and why did you choose it? Looking at a new plow and trying to figure out what material. I have used all 3 types before but it was always just what was on the truck. From 6.6 to 12 ft road plows in poly to 10 ft SS and new steel to welding patches in rusty steel during storms. I just don't know what the real difference is? Poly can crack and is a lighter, SS doesn't rust, steel you can patch in a pinch. What can everyone suggest looking at a 9.2 dxt in boss. Thanks ussmileyflag

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Clear one myth off the table - snow sticks to poly blades

We use Poly Vees
    1) We store them indoors, IMO they look nicer longer (I'm a believer in good looking equipment but I'm also not in a fashion show....)
    2) I wouldn't pay the extra for stainless, no fashion show for us
    3) I don't like steel, seems to be more effort to make it look nice

I've heard the Poly stories - mold board cracks, sticking something thru the moldboard, it's lighter, snow doesn't stick......

I have a few trucks and many many hours with Poly blades - the mold boards have never cracked, I've never stuck anything thru it, the weight difference is nominal and snow does stick..

heelclickerman likes this.
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had all types of plows, my primary use has been a 9.2 Poly V (the old flat top style) and the last 2 years with a SS 9.2 DXT. I agree with framer about the poly blades. I kept it inside, washed, etc. I used it hard and it never let me down, never faded, never broke when hitting something, and snow would still stick to it in certain situations. I would buy another without a doubt. I got the SS blade over another poly plow because it looked nice on my black truck. :D
    I really had no reason for the SS blade besides it looked cool, I wanted to try one, and the dealer gave me a good price on it (I was the first SS DXT he sold) so I bought it. I would have gotten another poly blade otherwise. The SS is nice I guess, snow still sticks to it, it gets scuffed up some, but in the end it works fine, no better or worse then a poly plow.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Never owned a ploy so I wont comment.

With proper care, a mild steel should last a long time.

SS just signifies ur a member of the cool kid club.

Also some ploy blades are heavier then MS.

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We'll probably put a 10' on our Freightliner this year and yea, it'll probably be stainless if they make them......... They do look sweet, they just don't get anymore done....

6. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We bought mild steel VXT's. We had sno ways before these plows and the plastic moldboards shattered a few times which was a headache. With these plows I can take it home and have it welded in half an hour if need be. The stainless looks really good.. But if you take care of the steel plows, Keep them washed and out of the sun, they will look good and last just as long. It's just the little maintenance that a few forget.

7. Phil1747

Phil1747 Member

Thanks for the input. Ty do you think the quality of the snow way had anything to do with problems? Don't think I will be joining the cool kids club this year concrete has been slow lately..... 100 degrees and already thinking snow

8. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

the boss poly V's weigh about 60 lbs more than a steel v.

9. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

I would say so, we also had a lot of wiring issues with those plows and controller issues. Like broncslefty said the poly weighs more than the steel so I would think they are constructed better than sno-ways.