1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SR110 / SR210 wireless

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by grec-o-face, Oct 20, 2010.

1. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I know the guide says the 110 and 210 are not supposed to spread sand. Has anyone done it? What's the outcome?

Thanks All

2. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

How about the SP125??

3. Riccas

Riccas Member

I just picked up the 210 because i have a couple customers that couldn't stand the red sand we have here. I'm thinking about mixing salt with white play sand for traction. Was going to mix it 50/50 and test it out this week. Let you know what i find out...

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

how does the 210 spread pelletized material, ice melt? does that come with a variable controller or on/off.

5. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I've only used mine for rock salt. I learned the trick to keep the salt flowing is WD-40 every time I add salt. It has just two speeds. Nice spreader for the price.

6. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've never tried to spread salt sand with mine, but since I had issues spreading bulk salt, and sometimes even bagged salt, I'd expect cratering issues with salt sand for sure. I actually just made my own vibrator for mine, and now it spreads bulk like a champ....only tried it once so far, but I spread about 300 lbs of bulk with no issue whatsoever.

7. Riccas

Riccas Member

What are you lubricating? The hopper? Or the auger? Or the bottleneck?

Not sure i want WD spitting all over my bumper... could see it now, going to get in the bed to add more salt in the middle of a storm and falling/breaking another wrist :realmad:

I was going to try bulk salt myslef ($90/ton vs $300/ton bagged) but i was thinking it definitely needed a vibrator. How/what did you use for the vibrator... i'd be very interested in making one for mine. Did you wire it in so it runs in conjunction with the spinner (ie. no need for addition switches, etc) :bluebounc

I've been going through about 10 bags per storm on average which ends up being about $75... i keep thinking for $15 more i could have a STOCK PILE!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  8. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I spray the hopper, bottleneck, and auger with WD. Depends on the truck I guess. My bumper doesn't get slippery. I'm using about 15 bags per service and trying to figure out how to work using bulk. It's dumb to pay for bagged salt, but hard to deal with bulk so I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to put a tarp in the bed of my extra truck and drop a yard or so in it. Then I can just shovel it into trash cans on the other trucks or something.

9. Riccas

Riccas Member

I was thinking trash cans myself... i know there's a 30 gallon "brute" one i have had for years. Extremely heavy duty and even in 0 degree weather its still rubbery, won't crack when thrown with weight in it. I'd stick with those, they are amazing.

What are you guys using for covers? I bought the little vinyl clear one TryEx sells for it... cost me $45 shipped. Was going to pick up another unit, but i only see the service life of the cover being 1 year, 2 tops before it dries out and rips. Was thinking some clear 1/4" or thicker lexan and using a hinge on the back and 2 of the rubber handle tie holders on the front like they have on the larger models. They sell them on snowmobile websites for under $5 a piece as hood tie downs. :mechanic:

10. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I have a bunch of Brute cans also from lawn maintenance. I think thats probably the best bet. My plan is to pick up the salt on my landscape trailer and just park it and load the other trucks from it. I scrapped the idea of picking salt up with my extra truck since I will probably take it off registration for now while I work on it.

The cover has stumped me too since I got the thing. I just put a trash bag covered by a plastic Rubber maid box top. It works, but would like to come up with something more permanent.

The other morning I picked up a new kind of salt, I believe it's bagged by Quick Crete. Even with my WD-40 trick it started getting jammed. Not sure what the difference is, but it got to the point where I had to put my helper in the back of the truck shaking the darn thing!

11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I posted a thread about it in Ice Management. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=111116

I did take some video, I just need to find the time to download it from my phone, edit, and post it. Subscribe to the thread and you'll know when I post the video.

The thing works awesome. I actually went back and bought 2 more motors. I bought one as a spare and I've been kicking around the idea of making another and selling it on ebay.

12. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've been filling 5 gallon pails with lids from my buddies salt pile. I keep 16 pails of salt in the shop which is enough to do the lots that I have to salt. If I need a bunch more I'll just load what I can in the back of the truck and tarp it over.

The pails are nice because you keep it dry and it's easy to fill the hopper with as there is no spillage, as long as you don't drop a bucket. Also, any extra you can just put back in the shop for the next event--storage is a breeze.

13. cooltech

cooltech Junior Member
    from ontario

hello oc&d.. i would really like to see how u did this to your unit, as that i what i was planning on doing to mine as well. going to use mine for my walkways i have to service..

14. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Subscribe to the other thread I cited and you'll get notified when I put up a video about it. I haven't had time yet.....been getting ready for the 10-20" they're predicting starting tonight into tomorrow. Gonna hit the hay for a while now!

15. cooltech

cooltech Junior Member
    from ontario

lots of snow..eh.. no prob man, thanks

16. jeepman4u

jeepman4u Member

I just bought a sr110 how many pounds of ice melt can you put in there at one time. In this last storm my other spreader gave out. and another storm do in tonight. thanks

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  17. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

The capacity is 240 pounds. Good luck with the storm tonight!

18. Riccas

Riccas Member

I have a good question for the SnowEx rep. on here...

I purchased an 80lb vibrator because my unit seems to always crater out. Regardless of what kind of salt, it seems to always crater. Anyway... the vibrator is 6amps max pull. I wanted to wire it up to work when the spinner is on. 6 amps is not a big draw, especially when they trailer wiring can handle upwards of 40 amps. The little motor in these spinners can't be pulling much either, so i'm not concerned about the vehicle wiring. As far as the unit though, i'm not sure how heavy the trailer plug wires are. Would they be capable of carrying an additional 6 amps? Furthermore, after the control board, the power wires going to the spinner motor, would they be capable of tapping onto for the vibrator? I would think that everything is more than suitable, 6 amps is not a big kick.

My other solution would be to remove the supplied wire w/trailer plug and install my own with upgraded wiring. Furthermore, after the control board, the power wire to the motor i would use as a relay switch, rather than pulling power from the spinner circuit, it would just be used to activate a relay that would be powered pre-circuit board (split from the trailer plug before the electronics, but still all housed in the panel under neath).

I would very much like to just be able to tap into whats there for ease of use and transer-ability (i have a couple of these great little units) so if i couple put a couple pig tails on all my units and put a vibrator on IF needed, that would be great.

PLUS there's the added bonus of i actually know when the unit is spreading. The vibrator should leave a nice loud noise i can heard in the cab. I can never really tell when the thing is on with my crew cab long bed truck with diesel stacks :confused:

Hope you have a chance to check in and get a response back :bluebounc

19. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

Because our controllers use dual-pulse modulation, you can’t cut into the wiring harness. If you cut into it, the controller will give you an overload code. The reason we use dual-pulse modulation is for calibration purposes. This ensures the spinner will always turn at a consistent rate according to the speed setting.

Furthermore, cutting into your wiring harness will void your warranty, so for all these reasons, we don’t recommend that you do it. Thanks!

20. jamesj

jamesj Junior Member

I have question for snonex rep. I purchased the sr210 today and can not get it to work with remote. Tried erasing memory and changed battery in remote. Will not work. it does work in bypass mode. very fustrated need help.