1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Squealing F-550

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dirt digger, Oct 19, 2005.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

My 2003 F-550 4x4 PSD work truck started squealing recently. When I put the hammer down at stop signs or red lights the truck starts a high pitch squeal, almost like its dragging a long chain. In fact the first time it did it I pulled over to check if I was dragging a chain. Then it keeps squealing for 5 or 10 minutes down the road and stops, then at the next stop sign it does the same thing…any suggestions as to what it is?...hopefully the tranny ain’t going already

2. dirt digger

o, and by the way...it is the automatic tranny.

3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

a belt maybe. mine made a whine, then I replaced the ac belt and that other belt (cant remember the name), and it was fine.

4. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

It sounds like a belt I would change the belts,and go form there.

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Check your Tensioner pulley. The bearings on them fail and will make a squeqling/howling noise.

6. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

you say you puttin' the hammer down at the lights? maybe it's your tires you're sqealing!!! :drinkup: J/K

7. dirt digger

HAHA, no...theres too much weight in the back for that, with the 100 gallon off-road diesel tank that is always full, plus the 11' service body...but the sound is coming from behind the cab, so its not the belts..I checked and they all seem to be in good condition.

8. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Bad water pump can make some weird sounds:rolleyes:

9. pikrite

pikrite Junior Member

Try your carrier bearing. We had the same problem with our 02 550. Ford said it was normal operation due to the driveshaft lengths. (depends on how bad the noise is)

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would guess carrier bearing too...

11. mrfreeze

mrfreeze Junior Member

Same issue on my 2002 F250

My 2002 F250 just started doing the same thing. It sounds sort of like a tinny sound like someone mentioned a bad belt tensioner or something. Older model Chevy water pumps make the same sound when the bearings go bad.

I purchased this vehicle used on Memorial day 2006, I am new to Ford vehicles and this was my second funky SOUND... I hope it is the last for a while anyway...

This forum is a great help! :drinkup: