1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Squealing during acceleration

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mrfreeze, Jul 8, 2006.

1. mrfreeze

mrfreeze Junior Member

I have a 2002 F-250 4x4 XL and just started hearing a squealing sound during acceleration. Someone had brought this subject up a while ago under another Ford model however I am curious if anyone else has encountered this since his post? Basically it happens when I accelerate from a stopped position or accelerate to go up a hill. The sound then goes away while driving.
    To further explain... it is not the typical Dodge Diplomat or Chevy Caprice rubber belt squealing sound... it is more of a tinny metal sound. I think the original post mentioned something about it sounded like a loose tow chain dragging behind the truck.

I am new to Ford and have to get used to these sounds!!

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It may be your serpentine belt tensioner. They go bad all the time. My Ford's on it's third one in 150K. Could be a wheel bearing or a brake with a stone trapped in it. Hard to say without hearing it.
  3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

our 550 only does it occasianally now...i would recommend getting a full chassis greasing